The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us unfortunate enough to have not made it to the LA auto show -- any word on the current location of the federal demo cars?

I live in New England (Boston area) and our dealer has not had one of the demo cars to date. Anyone know the location of federal demo cars in the Northeast region?

At this point, I am willing to drive to the nearest location in the Northeast as I am 6'2" and want to make sure I fit before I make final committment by choosing color/options (#19 on the list).

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
offroadr35 said:
i don't believe there are federal demo cars yet. just the euro spec cars that have been making their way around.
even that would be nice.
certainly better than drooling over the Aston Martin's which they DO have in their showroom...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Data from the show was that the 'Fed' cars will NOT be making the rounds to dealers. The first 'Fed' car you can expect at dealers is in May when each dealer gets their 1 car that they are supposed to hold on too.

In addition, the current Euro cars may not be around long since they are well below the US car standards.

Rumors, of course!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
offroadr35 said:
i don't believe there are federal demo cars yet. just the euro spec cars that have been making their way around.
Yes- I misspoke -- does anyone know where the euro spec demo cars are at present? Any in the New England area?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Sorry!!!

When I spoke to David Simkin at the Elise booth, I asked him what's next for the five cars at the booth after the show(s). And he said they were going to be CRUSHED! :eek: I almost fainted. The reason; The 5 cars were prototypes. So if what David said was true, now you know the sad ending to those 5 cars.:(

Neil

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
That is pretty standard in the industry. Most prototype build cars - even advanced/late stage protos get canned. They may conduct some more testing or throw them in their fleet but ultimately they will need to be compacted.

No automaker can afford the risk of having one of these cars enter the general public.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
They won't be crushed.................yet. The cars will make appearances over the next few months at major auto shows around the country and likely at a major event (which will remain anomymous) scheduled to take place on Feb. 1 in Texas. The first customer drivable cars will be at dealers in May.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wallabyguy said:
They won't be crushed.................yet. The cars will make appearances over the next few months at major auto shows around the country and likely at a major event (which will remain anomymous) scheduled to take place on Feb. 1 in Texas. The first customer drivable cars will be at dealers in May.
They weren't at Detroit -- likely b/c small company and it overlapped with the LA show.....

What show in Texas and why the hush?

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
You're right on regarding the reason the cars weren't in Detroit. But this is nothing new. Manufacturers always have to choose between the two events. As a matter of fact, I still don't understand why both Aston Martin (Ford) and BMW chose to show their new convertibles at Detroit rather than LA. Typically, new convertibles are shown on the west coast. I was also surprised to not see a convertible version of the new Stang or Corvette there as well.

I know where the cars will be but can't say anything officially. I was hoping to give you guys a "hint" by mentioning the Texas EVENT.
;)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
wallabyguy said:

I know where the cars will be but can't say anything officially. I was hoping to give you guys a "hint" by mentioning the Texas EVENT.
;)
OMG!

How are they going to be used there? Beyonce will ride out in one? Tyler of Aerosmith will hump it at halftime? WHAT???

Is Lotus going to be involved in the corporate goings on outside?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Now that would be a way to get publicity in a hurry. I heard on the radio today (Mark and Brian show) that the top 10 most watched TV shows of all time are all Super Bowl telecasts.

By the way, one of the Lotus guys at the LA show also told me that the cars probably eventually would be shipped back to England and crushed.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
The local dealer in Houston is new and an official sponser of the Event. I don't know how other than the cars will at least be present for display.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I wonder if they salvage anything from the cars such as rims or steering wheels etc. or by law does Lotus have to crush the entire car:( ?
In any event it is still sad...:( :( :( :(

Neil

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
wallabyguy said:
The cars will make appearances over the next few months at major auto shows around the country and likely at a major event (which will remain anomymous) scheduled to take place on Feb. 1 in Texas.
OOOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
atyclb said:
OOOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!
Yes, but the question is whether half time show or at some booth outside where us double unfortunate saps who couldn't go to LA or Texas will again not be able to see them.... :(

I hope they get some great exposure.... though with very little exposure they have already sold out (or nearly?) first year's production and then some.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts