The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For autocross/track time many of us change wheels/tires at an event. Where are the jacking points for the Elise? Can one whole side of the car come up at a time (front and rear). Where would you jack to raise the whole front or rear of the car (left and right front or rear at the same time? Thanks. It would be cool if Lotus came out with a lightweight high tech alloy jack using Elise frame extrusions for it's construction.

Stan

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The car has side jacking points that lift the whole side of the car.

The points for jack stands are a bit more tricky. The front jack stand points are at the front of the frame rail and easy to reach once the side of the car is in the air. To reach the rear points you have to remove the undertray.

So, what I do is...

Lift each side of the car set the rear wheels down on ramps. So, now the rear of the car is up.

Remove the undertray (11 bolts and 2 allens).

Lift each side and put jack stands front and rear on that side.

Car is now on stands.

Not the easiest process, but once you get it figured out it doesn't take too long.

You have to be very careful with the placement of the stands in the rear - the frame rail is very narrow.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Meat. You wouldn't by any chance have any pics of any of this would you? Thanks.

Stan

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There is a thread somewhere that shows the service manual diagram.

If I remember - I'll take some pics of the car on stands this weekend. I'm currently installing new dampers and springs so the car is on stands now.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
How will the dealer lift the car? I tried lifting the car on my friend's lift a few weekends ago and watched as the nose of the car went into the air and the back stayed planted. Then I remembered about lift points C or D that are under the undertray. Will the dealer really go through all the trouble to crawl under to remove the undertray? I guess they would have to but I find it hard to believe a dealer or a regular service shop would want to go through all the trouble.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you lift the car, be careful it does not fall backwards. When we lift the car in our garage we put some ballast in the passenger and drivers foot well.

When I work on my car at home, I jack up one side, place a couple of boxes of paper under, then jack up the other side and do the same. Works a treat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts