The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHAT IS THE ORDER? I WAS TOLD BY THE LADY AT STAR OF THOUSAND OAKS, CA. THAT SHE HAS 68 DEPOSITS. HER ALLOCATION IS 8 CARS PER MONTH. MY ORDER IS 10-22-03, THUS I MAY GET MY CAR NEXT NOVEMBER OR DECEMBER.

HELP!

I WILL BE AT THE L.A. AUTO SHOW @11:00 AM JAN. 2 AT THE LOTUS BOOTH. IF WE ALL WEAR BOLLERS CHURCHILL WILL RECOGNIZE US INSTANTLY.

THIS IS GREAT FUN AND THE CAR WILL BE EVEN MORE REWARDING.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
By the way, my dealer told me a couple months ago right before I put down my deposit that I would be #1. They gave me written confirmation of April delivery. Then yesterday I talked to the owner's son (who had promised me the #1 spot) and he said #5 is more realistic...

Somehow I think they're hosing me. How can I find my "actual" position and get a confirmation of it? Is written guarantee of "April Delivery" worth anything?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I don't believe the dealers really know their allocations yet. Common speculation is 6-8 cars per month per dealer, but it's just that. Also, it seems unlikely that all dealers are created equal, so allocations probably will vary for various reasons.

My dealer has been vague about my position on the waiting list. I think you have to factor in that they may skim a few cars off the top for their own use and that they may slip in a few latecomers who are willing to pay a premium to own the car right away. I don't believe we have any control over this.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I am number 37 at Silver Star in Thousand Oaks. I am number 28 at Steve Harris in Salt Lake. I hope Steve Harris comes through first. The Salt Lake to LA drive should be fun.

Steve

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
#2 At Lotus Atlanta, confirmed MSRP and place number in writing of course. Being about ten miles from LCU, I'm hoping LOA gets their first cars pretty quick, really I only care about the first two cars getting there quick, I know, a bit selfish
Chris:p

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
#2 At Lotus Atlanta, confirmed MSRP and place number in writing of course. Being about ten miles from LCU, I'm hoping LOA gets their first cars pretty quick, really I only care about the first two cars getting there quick, I know, a bit selfish
Chris:p
ok ok, I hope the first FIVE cars get there quick. :) Maybe they'll get the first 5 all at once and we can pick up our cars on the same day. I'll race ya! ;)

J

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Sownman said:
I am number 37 at Silver Star in Thousand Oaks. I am number 28 at Steve Harris in Salt Lake. I hope Steve Harris comes through first. The Salt Lake to LA drive should be fun.

Steve
I'm guessing that more cars will be allocated to California than Utah, so I would boldly predict that #37 at Silver Star will come up faster than #28 at Salt Lake.

I'm hoping that Symbolic has more pull than Silver Star and will get a much higher allocation.

By the way, when I spoke to a saleswoman at Silver Star, she didn't seem prepared to guarantee MSRP. Hope you had some luck there. She also indicated that Silver Star plans to beef up its service department, which will be nice since I plan to take my car there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
jml1952 said:
I'm guessing that more cars will be allocated to California than Utah, so I would boldly predict that #37 at Silver Star will come up faster than #28 at Salt Lake.

I'm hoping that Symbolic has more pull than Silver Star and will get a much higher allocation.

By the way, when I spoke to a saleswoman at Silver Star, she didn't seem prepared to guarantee MSRP. Hope you had some luck there. She also indicated that Silver Star plans to beef up its service department, which will be nice since I plan to take my car there.
Silver Star will not commit to MSRP hence the second deposit at Steve Harris where I do have a signed PO indicating sales price of MSRP. As far as allocations go, every thing I have read on any internet discussion site points to ALL dealers telling their customers about the same number per month 5-7 or 6-8. I assume then that this number is coming from Lotus.

My recent experience with MINI and wait lists for the "S" was that they allocated equal cars to all dealers. This resulted in price gouging in LA., where demand was high. You could go to Long Beach MINI and wait 14 months for a car at MSRP or you could go to Universal MINI or Nick Alexander, or Allesal, or Crevier and get one any time, for a $6K markup. During this time, and I think it's still going on, you could go to more rural east coast dealers and buy below sticker as they were getting shipments they couldn't sell. I sent several emails to MINIUSA asking them why they allowed this situation to continue and why they wouldn't allocate more to Los Angeles. The response was basically that this is their business plan and if I didn't like it I could always start building my own cars and sell them any way I want. It was of course phrased more nicely but they had no interest in my ideas.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the allocations go. Since there are so few Lotus dealers in the US, and some seem to have sprung up fairly recently, there has been a lot of speculation about unequal distribution of the cars around the country. Who knows what Lotus is telling their dealers (if anything), but I wouldn't be surprised if the 6-8 figure originated from rumors and casual remarks and has been circulated so much that it starts sounding like factual information.

In addition, it sounds like Lotus has the capacity to ramp up production if the car does really well. But I'm wondering if their waivers would allow that.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've also noticed the sliding position deal, I've gone from 3 to 4 at Silver Star, which means that I'm now concerned about the number of "demos" they will cream off the front of the queue. I guess I just have to wait and see.

I'll be at the LA auto show. Probably the first Saturday.

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
i am #53 at slive star, the manager was very nice, the waiting list is all in the computer, plus i ask him if someone willing to pay extra, would they sold the car to them first? he say no. he promise me that all the car they got will be sold to ppl who already at the list first.
All i wish what he talk about is true, cause i am sick and tired of paying mark up at CA, is just rip off, 6k over for mini, 10k more for M3 or E55..
base on i am 53, hopefully i can get the car at oct

Calvin

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
jml1952 said:
I hope anyone on the board who is picking up their car in SLC will let me know I'd like to at leat say Hi.
I am #1 at Steve Harris so I hope to have mine by June at least. I have seen no indication from Lotus on how the distribution between Dealers will be handled. I doubt that they will all get the same amount. I am hoping they will be based on the outstanding waitlist size. But costs of road shipping 2 vehicles to each dealership on imported shiploads may mean that some dealers may not see cars from every delivery. Just my guess though.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
List

Hey Flywheel,

are you on the list at European Auto in Birmingham, Michigan? What number?

Thomas

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't understand people willing to commit to buying a car for over MSRP. With some dealers charging several thousand over why not find a dealer that won't rape you and use that extra money for a wonderful road trip...or some useful mods for the Elise?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts