The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my pads today, and somehow I managed to tear the rubber seal in the picture below. This is the rear caliper. There's no part number in the service manual, nor on lotusgarage.com. Anyone have any idea where to get this? I wouldn't want to buy a whole new caliper just for a piece or rubber :(

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Since this tread title is vague enough to cover my issue as well I'm going to thread jack a little bit as opposed to starting anouther thread.

Does anyone know the viper part number or cheap place to order the rear brake sliding pins? For some reason both of mine are bent a little bit and cause the pads to wear oddly.

Thanks...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Since this tread title is vague enough to cover my issue as well I'm going to thread jack a little bit as opposed to starting anouther thread.

Does anyone know the viper part number or cheap place to order the rear brake sliding pins? For some reason both of mine are bent a little bit and cause the pads to wear oddly.

Thanks...
You might try PMing 40mmBrakes (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17823)

·
Registered
45 Posts

Thanks...
The slider pins - the metal tube that the red arrow in the image above was drawn on? The same pin that has the rubber accordion boots at each end? These are 22mm diameter and just seem impossible to bend.

I would suggest feeling the fit of these pins in the caliper casting. If the booties had holes and allowed road grit to enter, it may have abraded the inside of the casting hole and there is too large a clearance between the pin and the casting. The pin should not rock, only slide.

Another place to look is if the machined surface on the suspension upright the slider pin is bolted to is not perpendicular to the rotor. Perhaps something was caught under the end of the slider and it is holding the caliper at less than a 90 degree angle.

Is it possible the bolt is bent? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am astonished the pin could be bent.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The slider pins - the metal tube that the red arrow in the image above was drawn on? The same pin that has the rubber accordion boots at each end? These are 22mm diameter and just seem impossible to bend.

I would suggest feeling the fit of these pins in the caliper casting. If the booties had holes and allowed road grit to enter, it may have abraded the inside of the casting hole and there is too large a clearance between the pin and the casting. The pin should not rock, only slide.

Another place to look is if the machined surface on the suspension upright the slider pin is bolted to is not perpendicular to the rotor. Perhaps something was caught under the end of the slider and it is holding the caliper at less than a 90 degree angle.

Is it possible the bolt is bent? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am astonished the pin could be bent.
The boots on my calipers had torn as well, and I bought the Brembo refurbishing kit from EliseParts... if I remember right, the new pin seemed to be a different material than the stock pin (different color, as well). Before I changed pins and boots, I was getting uneven wear on the rear pads... now the wear is almost perfectly parallel to the backing plate.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome guys, you rock! Thanks for the information! I'll go order a replacement set now.

This does make me wonder how people replace their rear brake pads. The "lets slide the caliper up", method that most people seem to do, risks tearing this particular seal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts