The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I detached my rear bumper but didn't fully remove it from the car. A thick metal washer dropped out of each side but I can't tell where they came from. Can anyone tell me where these are supposed to go? There was also this small silver clip that dropped out of the driver's side. Also not sure where that goes. The service notes are not clear where these parts go. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
Not sure of the silver clip as I don't remember that one. But, are the washers from the wheel well upper fastener (if you fully removed the nuts, the washers would drop)?

"From within each rear wheelarch, release the M6 nyloc nut and washer securing the front top edge of the bumper to the clamshell at the wheelarch area."

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the silver clip as I don't remember that one. But, are the washers from the wheel well upper fastener (if you fully removed the nuts, the washers would drop)?

"From within each rear wheelarch, release the M6 nyloc nut and washer securing the front top edge of the bumper to the clamshell at the wheelarch area."

The one you are pointing to in the picture I removed entirely. Single nut with single silver washer.

The two nuts accessed from inside the trunk I only loosened and they still have a silver washer each on them. The screw right next to the taillight (accessed from inside trunk) I removed entirely (you have to remove it). It has a rubber washer on it.

Unless there's something else I'm missing, I think they could only either go on the nut shown in your picture, or the one next to the taillight.

·
Illegal Alien
5,148 Posts
Also reference the parts list , not just the Service Notes.

A number of washers used back there and some double stacked.

#17 Black Washer, M6x18x1.6 (5)
#24 SS Washer, M6x25x1.4 (2)
#25 Neoprene Washer, 15x8x3 (2)
#28 flat washer, M6x25x1.4 (6)
#49 Washer M6x15x1.5 (14)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did they drop into the trunk or onto the floor?
Onto the floor. I sort of think they go between the bumper and the clam, over the bolt that goes right next to the taillight. Like maybe they were added to get proper spacing between panels. Having trouble getting that all fitted back together though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I think I figured it out. They have to go right where you are pointing with the arrow because without them, the corner of the bumper won't be flush with the clam. It was going to be nearly impossible to get them on the outside of the screws next to the taillights.

For anyone else that finds this thread... note that my washers were different thicknesses left and right. Which makes sense, they are trying to get the panels flush and there will be variation side to side.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
Based on the size of the washers in your photo, I would have thought they were in the area I mentioned above. But, I don't remember any other ones that size on mine when I took it apart. I just went through a bunch of photos I took at that time but they didn't help. Maybe they are just spacers as you mention and your car needed a little more to get fitment right.

If you think they went in the area I circled below as spacers, I can't see how they got them to fit through that small hole. And, I don't know how they could get them between the panels otherwise unless they were taped in place ahead of time??.

Sorry I can't help more....

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on the size of the washers in your photo, I would have thought they were in the area I mentioned above. But, I don't remember any other ones that size on mine when I took it apart. I just went through a bunch of photos I took at that time but they didn't help. Maybe they are just spacers as you mention and your car needed a little more to get fitment right.

If you think they went in the area I circled below as spacers, I can't see how they got them to fit through that small hole. And, I don't know how they could get them between the panels otherwise unless they were taped in place ahead of time??.

Sorry I can't help more....
Exactly. I tried putting it back together that way but could not get the bolt to start threading. It was hard enough to balance the washer in there and push the bumper into place.

Cool. I hope that's it :up:
Got it all back together and everything seems to line up nicely. I think that was it. Thanks for the quick responses, I hate quitting in the middle of a job for something seemingly minor like this. :rolleyes:

Attachments

Reactions: 2011 chrome orange
1 - 11 of 11 Posts