The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently daily driving my Elise, but there this darn nagging feeling in the back of my head. I want to be able to stick my car up on jack stands and do a bunch of pet projects all at once.

There's no way I can do it at my place, hoa would have a fit if I left a half assembled car in the driveway. You have to admit, our cars look awful without a clam :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
In the driveway, on the side of the house, behind a fence and under a carport. (where mine is currently sitting with the front clam off)
And they don't look like crap without the clam, they look like race cars. =)
I wouldn't dream of living somewhere where I'd have to deal with an HOA. Life's too short for that bull****.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wouldn't dream of living somewhere where I'd have to deal with an HOA. Life's too short for that bull****.
I almost hate buying a house without one. We had this nice place in Boyd, TX until houses stopped selling, so the builder bailed, then the developer bailed. They put up ~$100k less houses all throughout the remaining lots adjacent ours. We barely survived with our "investment" as it were, intact.

When the economy took a dive this time around, once again the builder bailed, but the HOA bylaws in our little subdivision in Anna, TX kept to the code when a new builder finally came in, and built 50+ really nice houses throughout this past year. We just signed a contract for the sale of ours, and I gotta tell you, I'm quite pleased with the outcome given the state of the nation since we bought new in 2007!

·
Registered
713 Posts
No HOA, 36x24 garage with a lift and a 14x10 shed to store stuff. A 4 post lift is a must in my opinion. Want to change the oil? Butterfly air wrench with a few sockets and the aluminum panel is off in 2 minutes. Do the oil, panel back on. Takes a couple minutes more than my Subaru.

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
No HOA, 36x24 garage with a lift and a 14x10 shed to store stuff. A 4 post lift is a must in my opinion. Want to change the oil? Butterfly air wrench with a few sockets and the aluminum panel is off in 2 minutes. Do the oil, panel back on. Takes a couple minutes more than my Subaru.
Getting my lift hopefully next Monday! :coolnana::nanner::nanner2:

I already have the 1/4 turn undertray kit from RLS:

Quarter-Turn Quick Release Kit | Really Light Stuff

Makes it even easier... just the two 13 mm bolts and a bunch of quarter turns and the panel is off.

I will be removing both clams in about 10 days also. Having the lift should make it a little easier since I can reposition the car vertically based on where I need it so I don't hurt my back :eek:

*edit* To answer the original question... this is where I work on it: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f218/pics-new-garage-construction-feedback-wanted-120538/

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
When I used to be in a high-rise I would just start the project at 10pm, be done by 2am, they would look the other way. But this was underground parking.

Have you considered putting the car under a tarp? Then they wouldn't have to know, as long as you are courteous.

·
av8or21
40 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's an Air Force base in Houston. Do you have any friends that are in the military? Most bases have a garage where you can work on your own cars and rent tools/lifts. That's where I do my work

·
Registered
143 Posts
turblow, i formally rescind my statement. just found out that last year the state of texas implemented a state-wide HOA money-making scheme named, "resale certificate" which is a mandatory, paid-to-the-hoa-prior-to-closing FEE in the hundreds of dollars range. ugh.

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
turblow, i formally rescind my statement. just found out that last year the state of texas implemented a state-wide HOA money-making scheme named, "resale certificate" which is a mandatory, paid-to-the-hoa-prior-to-closing FEE in the hundreds of dollars range. ugh.
Yes I am just learning this on an business adventure. And the Option Fee when making an offer. Texas is unique.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I would never buy a house with HOA. You don't buy clothes and pay someone to tell you when and where you can wear it. Why do it for a house? I seriously feel that HOA are for people that like being controlled or are masochistic. As a free person I can not live with HOA. I have lived under HOA for most of my life. I bought a house 5 years ago with no HOA and never looked back. I laugh at people that claim that HOA maintained property value. Not one house in my block looks horrible. In fact, because we don't have HOA it allows us more freedom when it comes to rennovation. Each house has their own specific theme and character that is a much more rewarding visually to drive through than the all white cookie cutter HOA properties. We just spent 70k doing a complete remodel and we went with a very european theme. No one to tell us what color the house has to be. No one to tell us what type of window we must have. No one to tell us what color of door we must have. No one to tell us how we must do our yard. Why people want HOA is beyond me. I have seen the corruption that goes on with HOA esepcially with selective enforcement. I got many choice words for HOA so I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
When I used to be in a high-rise I would just start the project at 10pm, be done by 2am, they would look the other way. But this was underground parking.

Have you considered putting the car under a tarp? Then they wouldn't have to know, as long as you are courteous.

I can guarantee that if he covers it with a tarp, he will still get fined. He may even get fined faster.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,609 Posts
I wrench in my garage or driveway, usually dependent on the time frame to complete the task and weather.

Lots of HOA hate here. I worked several years for a HOA management company. Don’t be afraid of your HOA, be very proactive with your HOA and you shouldn’t have huge issues, unless you want to do something they specifically state you cannot in the rules and bylaws. Please read your HOA documents before buying property, this seems to be the biggest cause of issues. I have seen real estate agents convince buyers these rules would not actually be enforced or didn’t apply to them and I’ve seen those buyers sell that house months after moving in. Every HOA is different, they tend to change based on the people living in the HOA and the board members, but they all make it very clear upfront what is allowed and what is not allowed. Go to your HOA meetings or at least read the minutes, this will help you know any new changes coming up or you can hear any complaints against you if there are any.

If you are concerned about working on your car in your driveway and how the HOA feels about that, call them. They might be willing to provide you clarity on the rules or give you a temporary exemption. Many HOAs will allow you to preform “non major” maintenance in front of your house. If you happen to have a stricter HOA, rent a shop/garage elsewhere to work on it.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
my walk out family room...(it's also drive-in.) Yes, i park my car in my house...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
haha....its not quite finished... but it's true.. the downstairs of the 4000 sq. ft. barn i own contains a rental (helps w/taxes) and a shop - headed for family room duty as i have a need for more finished space currently it has a garage door & epoxied cement slab floor - and looks more like a "garage under" as a result - but i've already watched "Grand Prix" while sitting in the Elise. It is directly below my upstairs living area. Right now - houses the car and the bike. I just go down the stairs and i'm staring at the car. It still needs the floor, lighting and probably a ceiling. There's pics in my nose repair thread. But it looks like a shop in those. It's going to be a family room, with a garage door & shop overtones, pool table, pinball, hi-def projector,vending machines.... Multi use space. I know you will say - "sure doesn't look like a family room" but use your imagination. It's about 30' x 30', and i just got the rough pine walls up. The white wall is the rental on the other side.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts