The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I had a discussion the other day on where to park our cars when we go out with our lotus.

I have seen a lot of cases where people parked next to you in a parking lot don't give a **** what kinda car it is and just swing their door wide open... especially little kids...

Also I have read posts on LT that people got hit while parallel parked on the street as well.

What's your take? Where do you usually park at? Any interesting story to share?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I will usually park towards the back of a lot, next to an "island / curb" in order to protect one side of the car. I tend not to park all the way at the back of a lot because I believe that draws some attention form haters.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I want the car to be noticed but I don't want it to look vulnerable - Does that makes sense?

I, myself, never park in between cars unless I'm with my buddies. If I must, I find 2 of the nicest cars to park between. Usually I park front row, closest to the door, and if no spots are open I find the most visible spot I can park (Usually ends up in the back.)

But different scenarios call for different things: If I go out to a bar, I am sure to park where the bouncers can keep an eye out on the car or in plain sight out of a frequently traveled area. I haven't been afraid to ask where I could park the car, all have hooked me up with good parking.

The more important thing is the way you drive and act on and off the road. If you're a prick, somebody is going to go after your car.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I park far out. generally alone, and on an end spot. I don't goto bars/clubs, or anything very exciting....so no comments there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always try to park next to an island or far enough away from the store so that no one tends to park near me. Ill park in between other nice cars as well as the owners tend to be careful when opening doors. Doesnt have to be a sports car or anything special you can generally tell if the person cares for their car or not. I dont suggest doing the oops I took up two spots so no one can park next to me. People just imply your an ass and may do something to your car.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Whether it is a garage or a lot, I always park with one side of the car next to a curb and backed in. This way, really, two sides of the car are isolated from other drivers. The Elise is relatively small, but een so, I don't park in compact spaces, s there is always a large gap between me and the car next to me.

I'll parallel park if the space is at the end of a block and there is a big space between the front of the Elise and the car ahead, or if it is in front of a cafe where I am sitting (I can keep an eye on the car and folks who can't parallel park) I have not had any trouble so far. I also won't drive the car in bad neighborhoods or leave it on a street overnight.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Elise is so small that a lot of times it can be parked in a normal space and still have a ton of room around it. I work in a small office complex and many times I have to park between two cars. I try and make one of them another worker in the building -- ie a car I recognize -- but even that is not always possible. Luckily the spaces are so large though that if I just center the car properly I am not within door reach of the neighboring cars.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It's just a car. I park it wherever there's an open spot. It's far less stressful than worrying about every bad scenario that could come up.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
It's just a car. I park it wherever there's an open spot. It's far less stressful than worrying about every bad scenario that could come up.
I'm starting to be more like this myself, although I do try to park carefully, I don't go out of my way to make it obvious. One problem we need to be aware of is one that motorcyclists also have watch for: parking too far into the space. Our cars are so short that some people may mistakenly think the spot is not taken when they are trying to find a spot.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I usually try to find an end spot, close to where I'm going. I don't treat it too special, try to park at the closest end spot available. Barring that, I'll park wherever. I've only parallel parked twice, once at about 2 am downtown on a well lit street without many other cars or traffic and another time in the middle of the day at the very front of a street that allowed parallel parking, but there was no one parked on it. No one would back into me since I was at the front, and no one actually parked behind me. If I know I'm going to have to parallel park, I won't drive the Elise.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hell I did this same method of parking (avoiding other cars, and parking on the end spots) in my 1979 Ford Ranchero back in highschool. A kid dented it twice in one day, he was about 6 inches taller and 40-50 lbs heaveir. but fearing nothing, I confronted him and made him beg for mercy. (people thought I was nuts back then):D

West Texas, Wide open spaces. But every other moron has a 1 ton truck or an equally large SUV. (urban assault vehicle)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
my garage.my back driveway.friends house.thats really it.i have too much money into my car for some prick to wack it with a car door or worse.plus my insurance would not cover door chips and small repairs.yea its just a car.but i rather keep it nice.not let [email protected]#h*les f%$& it up.

·
Registered
470 Posts
always park far out and with a curb on one side or the end of the isle. as said before the lotus is so small if you can hug a curb most cars cant get you even if the door is opened all the way. I dont take it to certain places like walmart or fast food places.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
i park at the very front at a curb/end spot. no parallel or structure parking (unless I can park right at the front).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I park:

(1) in a spot where only one car can park next to me (ie curb on the side/end spot) and as far away from that car's spot as possible.

(2) next to a handicap spot

(3) in a spot that is highly visible to all, under the theory that less shenanigans will happen if people can see it happening.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would worry more about accidentally hitting a curb stop with the front end and cause $6000 to the car than from a person parking next to me opening their door into the car. The Elise is tiny, so it takes up less space in a spot, therefore being less likely to get a ding.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Home - garage. Work - garage. Never parallel park. Don't park it often in iffy public lots, but in good spots as mentioned by others

Yeah its no veyron, but a ding is equal to weeks without the car and thousands upon thousands in damage... fiberglass doesnt ding. Taking 30 seconds to find a better spot is worth avoiding headaches that many have experience with "normal" cars that would be more "nightmareish" with this car.

I even find good spots when parking with my civic hybrid. I don't think about it or stress out about it, its just habit. I don't mind walking the extra 30 feet to wherever I'm going, although its not like i need it -- although most people probably could :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts