The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
IMHO.. just pick up phone and call them, much faster IMHO... great guys to work with and they know their Esprit's too!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Definitely Jeff at JAE. I was talking to him last week about getting some parts and they always seem to have them in stock which is great. I understand he is retiring later this year and that will be a huge loss for the Lotus community.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
I recommend that you replace the tensioners & idler pulleys at the same time while doing the cambelt job. Pricey but should do it if you haven't replace them in the past 4 years. You will also need to "rent" the tools from JAE to do the cambelt job if you don't have it.

·
Banned
938 Posts
I recommend that you replace the tensioners & idler pulleys at the same time while doing the cambelt job. Pricey but should do it if you haven't replace them in the past 4 years. You will also need to "rent" the tools from JAE to do the cambelt job if you don't have it.
Hi.
What sort of special tools are we talking about?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
Hi.
What sort of special tools are we talking about?
This Topic is about V8s, Mike.

For the 4-cyl, all you need is a grinder (to make your present tools fit), maybe a hacksaw (EG, for the Allen bolt on your vacuum pump)

Oh yeah, you either need a timing belt tensioning tool, or alternately, a smartphone app for measuring it's tension by the frequency method.

·
Banned
938 Posts
This Topic is about V8s, Mike.

For the 4-cyl, all you need is a grinder (to make your present tools fit), maybe a hacksaw (EG, for the Allen bolt on your vacuum pump)

Oh yeah, you either need a timing belt tensioning tool, or alternately, a smartphone app for measuring it's tension by the frequency method.
Whew!
But!
The belt tensioning tool is probably as attainable over hear as the parts of the crashed ufo
From Roswell!!!!!!!!!
Using the smart phone app. is from the same craft that crashed!
But Ill try it!
What about the twist method: Forefinger and Thumb method?
I feel like a Neanderthal. :facepalm

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
What about the twist method: Forefinger and Thumb method?
That works, but it takes YEARS of finger calibration to be effective.

;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If my car was changed 6 years ago with the Gates belts and only had 3k miles driven since then, should I bother changing them IF they get a clean inspection and are within spec for slack?

·
Banned
938 Posts
If my car was changed 6 years ago with the Gates belts and only had 3k miles driven since then, should I bother changing them IF they get a clean inspection and are within spec for slack?
Hi.
You and I are in the same turmoil.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It depends on if you feel LUCKY. When I got my Esprit S4s ,its belt was pushing 4&1/2 yrs. with only 10k miles on it. the old belt ,when I got it off looked like it could another 4 yrs. , but I changed it because I wanted to sleep at night. Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is your car a V8 or four banger?

If you mean you had the Gates blue belt installed, you should be good for quite a while still.......

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
When I did my belt 4 yrs ago, the belt that was originally on it was physically shot, it looked old, worn and brittle. I did the belt at that time, then changed it after two years, then just did it again. Everytime I've changed it in the two year interval I feel it could go longer. Its a gamble I know, but I think garage keeping the car (in a heated garage), and not driving it as a regular vehicle much would lengthen the belt change intervals.

I went crazy this past winter when I did the belt, and used that guitar tuning software, however I can do it without it im pretty confident as I did it the first time around.

I think its best to spread the project over the off season (at least in the northeast) when you arent rushed, can take your time, order parts you may need, etc. (belt tension bearing, other belts, etc.) Rather than do it in the midst of when you might really really want to drive the car, like when its nice weather. I never thought I could have that kinda patience on a project, but this car has sorta taught me that you have to wait for proper parts sometimes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts