The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So interesting turn of events today. Finished the HEX install of my REV400 on the front end, moved to the engine to start tear down and noticed I have oil dripping from places I can't fathom how it got there.

As you can see in the pics below it's everywhere. The bottom of my block is filthy and covered in oil due to a failed oil pan gasket, which was fixed last year. However, I have no idea why there is so much oil under and around the fuel rail (middle picture). There is literally a puddle of it in low spots. More oil spread around around the dip stick area on the block.

Looking up from the bottom of the engine at the starter above the oil filter (first picture) I can see a rubber hose dripping oil and oil dripping from one of the manifold nuts securing the TVS to the Blackwatch manifold.

any ideas where it's coming from?

Attachments

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
The oil leak up top is usually from the breather return line and/or an improperly torqued cam cover. The hose at the bottom doesn't look like it's the source of a leak to me, but rather just collecting oil spraying from somewhere else.

If you haven't done it yet, block off the 2 oil breather ports to prevent any future leaks. You can make your own like I did below or buy the BOE plates.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
+1 on blocking the breather return lines. Also, oil on the bottom end can come from the failed o-ring where the dipstick goes into the block.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully that's all it is.. As it happens I have a brand new dipstick tube and the block off plates sitting on my workbench. Thanks!

Mainly looking to figure out if I need to order parts (gaskets) or something now so I'm not waiting around for them when it's in pieces.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The oil leak up top is usually from the breather return line and/or an improperly torqued cam cover. The hose at the bottom doesn't look like it's the source of a leak to me, but rather just collecting oil spraying from somewhere else.

If you haven't done it yet, block off the 2 oil breather ports to prevent any future leaks. You can make your own like I did below or buy the BOE plates.
sorry if i'm taking this off topic, but for the bottom port blockoff... how accessible getting to that from under the car?

I bought the plates a couple years ago, & want to finally install them this year while i'm doing a sandwich plate swap & figured i'd ask...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
sorry if i'm taking this off topic, but for the bottom port blockoff... how accessible getting to that from under the car?

I bought the plates a couple years ago, & want to finally install them this year while i'm doing a sandwich plate swap & figured i'd ask...

Its possible but very hard. Maybe easier with the oil lines out of the way though.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Its possible but very hard. Maybe easier with the oil lines out of the way though.
yeah I figured waiting till I did another mod to my oil cooling setup would be best just for accessibility sake... suppose i'll find out in a month or so

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a lot easier if you do it while the manifold and SC are off to install a REV400 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts