The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Where is the battery located?

11K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ConeFusion 
#1 ·
I was reading about the S1 vs. S2 and I saw that they moved the battery from low in the front of the car to the trunk?

Why would they do such a silly thing?

#2 ·
The wire from the front-mounted battery emits a microwave frequency that could potentially disrupt air control radio traffic, and thus doesn't meet FCC regulations. Thus, it was necessarily shortened as a part of the "Federalization". Or not, just a guess. :D

#3 ·
M3toElise said:
Why would they do such a silly thing?
Simple.. The S2 front clam design with it's separate sevice panels (instead of a front 'bonnet' like the S1) doesn't have a large enough gap to pass a battery through.

Would get rather expensive to have to remove and re-install the clam to swap the battery. (A bit like the 340R where you have to take off the complete body to do that...)

Also, the battery in the front is in a very cold and exposed position, which doesn't do much good for it's lifespan, as well as needing a long power cable to charge it and power the starter motor.

On the european 2004 models (and I suspect also on the US model) they moved the winscreen washer bottle to the rear too. Probably to create enough space in the front for both the heater and the ABS unit.

Bye, Arno.

#5 ·
#13 ·
Randy Chase said:
I think Black Panther went out of business or were bought out by Odyssey Batteries.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

I don't see an equivalent. Mine was rated at 300cca. Enough to start the car. I paid around $150.
Wow, 300CCA and 4 lbs? That's pretty awesome compared to what they have now.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/specs.htm

Their 12lb one has 200CCA. Their 265CCA one weighs 13.2lbs and their next closest, the 380CCA one weighs 26lbs.

#15 ·
I use a Hawker Genesis. Pretty much the same as the Odyssey, I believe. A little over 13lbs, and it's been working great so far. I might put the stock battery back in over winter just in case, even though the car has been starting fine even at fairly cold temperatures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.