The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to Asia from SFO. I heard different airports has different duty free price. A friend is asking a Martell cognac.

Just wondering where is the best to buy, asia (hong kong, singapore) or SFO (where the trip is originated)? or even just local costco, lol...

thanks.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
if you have any friends in the military then then navy exchange or equivalent has tax free booze :p

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You'll do better over there and you certainly don't want to carry it around the whole trip. Anyway, they sell some duty free liquor on the flight itself. On the way over you'll find out what the airline you are on charges. Over there you can buy it at any store, but you will pay the tax (I think there's a way around that maybe someone else knows)you declare it when you land back in the US. Remember to pack it in your luggage, if you buy it at the Duty free shop iin the airport, obviously there must be a way to get it on the plane, or those shops wouldn't exist.
Hong Kong SkyMart

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, i m buying it back for friends in Asia so on my way over, I am buying it for them, so I only carrying it for that one trip. I will not carry back to USA, not really a heavy drinker myself...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
oh, i m buying it back for friends in Asia so on my way over, I am buying it for them, so I only carrying it for that one trip. I will not carry back to USA, not really a heavy drinker myself...
You can call the Duty free shop at SFO. Check with the carrier, they can tell you what they carry on the plane and the price. My guess is that it will be cheaper over there, but I'm not sure

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
if you buy it at the Duty free shop iin the airport, obviously there must be a way to get it on the plane, or those shops wouldn't exist.
When you buy at the airport Duty Free you show them your boarding pass and they deliver it direct to the gate for pickup.

Probably not relevant here but you can only buy D/F at the last airport before leaving the country (not at an airport used on a connecting flight)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you mean i can only buy it at SFO since that's the last airport before going to Asia? I can't buy them in HKG or Singapore, or any others? What will happen if I buy them at connecting airport? I have to pay duties?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You can only buy at SFO to save US duty.
If you travelled through another US airport to get to SFO - you can't buy Duty Free there. They look at your boarding pass and it has to show a non-US destination.

You can buy at any airport Duty free if you are leaving that country for another (so HKG if you're leaving for Singapore).

Personally I'd buy it before I left and pack it securely in my checked luggage so that I wasn't carting a bottle around as hand luggage. The cost saving isn't worth the inconvenience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts