The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 Lotus Evora that was in an accident and both airbags went. (No frame damage just body work) I've had both airbags replaced.

I guess my first question is does the airbag module need to be replaced or can a lotus scan tool clear it after an accident?

If it does need to be replaced where is it located?
I've looked for it here and on the web can't seem to find a picture or diagram. All I could find was a picture of it with the airbags.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
I bought a 2011 Lotus Evora that was in an accident and both airbags went. (No frame damage just body work) I've had both airbags replaced.

I guess my first question is does the airbag module need to be replaced or can a lotus scan tool clear it after an accident?

If it does need to be replaced where is it located?
I've looked for it here and on the web can't seem to find a picture or diagram. All I could find was a picture of it with the airbags.
I’m not positive of what you are looking for as the SRS generally refers to the complete Supplementary Restraint System. But by “airbag module”, I assume you are looking for the location of the SDM (Sensor & Diagnostic Module)? If so, the SDM module is mounted in an alloy box, bolted to the center underside of the scuttle beam in front of the center console.

Most SDMs (some manufacturers have different names for them) in modern vehicles have to be replaced after a trigger event involving a deployment. A non-deployment event usually will not require replacement as the files will be overwritten over time. Although, this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

For Lotus, it appears that the SDM would require replacement, as well as the replacement being checked and/or reprogrammed using the Lotus TechCentre.

Excerpts from the service manual....

Deployed Inflator Modules WARNING:

Safety precautions must be observed when handling a deployed inflator module. After de-ployment, the air bag surface may contain a white packing powder used to ease deployment. Always wear gloves and safety glasses when handling a deployed inflator module, and wash your hands with a mild soap and water afterwards.

Inspections Required After an Accident

All SRS system components, including harnesses and brackets, must be inspected after an accident. If any are damaged or bent, they must be replaced even if a deployment did not occur. If the SRS was deployed, the following components MUST be renewed even if there is no visible damage to the parts:

• Driver airbag module;
• Passenger airbag module;
• Sensor & Diagnostic Module (SDM);
• Driver and passenger pyrotechnic seat belt assemblies;
• Rotary connector;
• Passenger airbag mounting brackets (if passenger airbag was deployed);
• Main fascia panel (if passenger airbag was deployed);

Inspect the steering column for damage or telescoping (see Section hG) and column mounting brackets for damage. Inspect the front subframe longerons, and the mounting of the two forward crash sensors (if fitted) for damage or distortion. Inspect the chassis scuttle beam in the area of the passenger airbag mounting brackets for damage or distortion. Inspect the SRS wiring harness and connectors for damage or any signs of overheat-ing. Inspect both front seat shells, and all seat mounting brackets and runners. Check all seat belt mountings and brackets for damage or distortion.

Do not attempt to repair the steering column or chassis or any of the above mentioned components. Service only by replacement.

WARNING: Proper operation of the SRS system requires that any repairs to the vehicle structure return it to its original production configuration. Deployment, or any visible damage to the SRS components and/or their respective mounting brackets requires replacement, not repair.

Sensor & Diagnostic Module (SDM) & Forward Crash Sensors

The SDM and forward crash sensors (if fitted) are calibrated specifically to the Evora, and are mounted in a dedicated manner in specific positions. Never use SRS components from any other vehicle, or modify their mounting to the Evora.

WARNING:
• Handle the SDM with great care. Never strike or jar the SDM as this could cause airbag deployment and result in personal injury or improper operation of the SRS.
• All module and mounting bracket bolts must be correctly installed and tightened to assure proper security and operation.
• Never power up the SRS when the SDM is not properly mounted and secured, since the SDM is easily triggered when not attached, and could result in deployment causing personal injury.
• Do not use or attempt to repair a damaged SDM.

To Replace SRS/SDM Unit WARNING:

The SDM must be replaced after SRS deployment. Do not attempt to repair or reuse.

The SDM is mounted in an alloy box bolted to the centre underside of the scuttle beam in front of the centre console and is accessible from the driver and passenger footwell.

1. Follow the safety procedure detailed in sub-section WF.6 to turn off the ignition, disconnect the battery and unplug the rotary connector.

2. From the footwells, release the 8 setscrews securing the SDM mounting box to the scuttle. Release the three screws securing the SDM to the box and unplug the two harness connectors.

Refitment of the SDM is a reversal of the removal procedure, torque tightening the fixing screws for SDM and mounting box to 9 Nm.

The SDM unit has additional functionality not required for the Evora.
If the unit is removed or replaced then its configuration must be checked or reprogrammed as necessary using Lotus TechCentre.

From the home screen select:

•System - SRS (Airbags)
• Select ‘Guided Routines’ tab
•Select Configuration – Reprogram or ECU renewal option as applicable
• Follow the instruction prompts located at the Rh bottom of the screen
• When configuring select:
• Front airbags = Driver and Passenger
• Automatic Occupancy Sensor fitted = Not in use
• Which Seat Belt Pretensioners are Fitted = Driver and Passenger
• Which Side Airbags are Fitted = Not in use “

Attachments

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I was just about to say the exact same thing.

No, not really. :shrug:

Post like this remind me of how little I really know about my car :scratchhead:

But I'm learning. Thanks to all the knowledgeable people on the Forum :bow:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does anyone know, if they eliminated the crash sensors on the USA models as the manual suggests, then how does the car sense the rapid deceleration?
Does this simply mean that the same sensors were moved to a different location?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.