The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my 05 for the first time in 4 months and noticed coolant dripping under the front bumper. It wasn't leaking before. So I removed the front under panel to check the two hoses and they are dry. I removed the grill and see coolant running down the sides but cant tell where it's coming from. Any ideas? Do I have to remove the front body to have a closer look?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And which is the correct AST coolant bottle test adaptor for pressure testing the system? Is it FZ148?

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
I seem to remember reading about the potential for radiator cracks in Elises, but I can't find the reference. I think a detailed inspection is in order.

Edit: Here is a link to information regarding the radiator problems.

In a nutshell:
The standard OEM Elise radiator is another weak point in the cooling system. Although it is lightweight, it has plastic end tanks which are prone to expanding and leaking under pressure.
Unfortunately you need to Remove S2 front clamshell before you can replace the radiator.

·
hello
299 Posts
The stock radiator has plastic parts on the sides that are known to crack and fail over time. The solution is to replace the radiator. Lots of threads on this. Most likely this is the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks for the link. Guess it's time for a new radiator. I got the rear clam off with an engine hoist by myself. Can the front by removed by one person?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Pull the front turn signals and look ino the carbon channels. I'll bet that you'll see them wet with coolant.

This can come from the end caps on the rad failing.

Dave

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great. With the front clam off, should I cover anything with plastic before putting a car cover on in case of rain? I keep a waterproof tarp over the top of the roof over the breathable cover but it's not big enough to go over the front of the car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As an upgrade to the factory component with plastic parts that are prone to failure, who makes an aftermarket aluminum replacement? I may be interested in doing a safety upgrade/mod in the future

·
Older but getting faster
528 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh bummer... Yes this is common and you can get a few options for radiators, but make sure it is a welded one so you don't need to do it again. Plenty of people will tell you to change other things while you have the clam off, search around or PM one of us for options/advice.

Good luck! It is time consuming for a simple radiator job :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Stay away from a triple pass radiator. I've heard bad things.
Uh oh, I discovered that I had coolant leak so I brought my car in to have the oil line recall done and the Rad changed at the same time, dodged a bullet with the labor as the clam removal is part of the recall. Anyways, just had the stock Rad replaced with the triple bypass all aluminum rad from Lotus, too late to go back now.

What bad things have you heard about the triple bypass Rad? Should I expect more problems in the future or is it inefficient at cooling the engine?

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Uh oh, I discovered that I had coolant leak so I brought my car in to have the oil line recall done and the Rad changed at the same time, dodged a bullet with the labor as the clam removal is part of the recall. Anyways, just had the stock Rad replaced with the triple bypass all aluminum rad from Lotus, too late to go back now.

What bad things have you heard about the triple bypass Rad? Should I expect more problems in the future or is it inefficient at cooling the engine?
You're fine with the triple pass. In spite of some people saying 'bad things', if you buy an 'uprated radiator' direct from lotus, guess what it is? (appears you already know!) Triple pass. Before the 'bad things' were ever said, people were using the triple pass for years with no complaints. Don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
You're fine with the triple pass. In spite of some people saying 'bad things', if you buy an 'uprated radiator' direct from lotus, guess what it is? (appears you already know!) Triple pass. Before the 'bad things' were ever said, people were using the triple pass for years with no complaints. Don't worry about it.
Jds is right. Any stock part from Lotus will do you fine! Glad you got it taken care of.

·
Registered
445 Posts
phew that's a relief, had me worried for a minute. I would hate to have to go through another clam removal a year from now. Thanks Guys!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts