The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<b>My Elise will be workin' it on Ortega Hwy:</b>

<b>Check out the elevation changes:</b>

This site has a great collection of the best riding/driving roads in CA.: http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

Post your favorites!:)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ortega is awesome. The downside is that it is risky to speed, and it can get crowded.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
So you were there with the Spyder that rolled?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Samurai,
Now your in my neck of the woods! The dragon's more fun on a motorcycle tho. You have to go midweek to because it's wall to wall on the weekends in spring summer.

Cherohala Skyway is another wonderful road right next to deals gap.

Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Deer Creek Canyon - right out my front door. It leads into the Rockies and mega-miles of 2 lane mountain roads. I see Porsche, Mercedes and other manufacturers up here every year doing high altitude testing. One of their favorite roads is the Mount Evans highway, which is the highest paved road in North America at just a bit over 14,000 feet. You don't wanna go off the road up there, you come to rest about 3 miles down the mountain.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I like the non-inhabited parts of Mulholland (nice and close) and the 2 through the mountains (also nice and close). :)

lots of fun twisties and you don't have to drive for hours to get to them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Randy Chase said:
So you were there with the Spyder that rolled?
No. I was there, though. I took the pictures of the tree of shame. I'm the silver jsut to the left of the blue one in the group shot.

The roads weren't that bad this weekend. I only had a few poeple, 1 bike and 1 Z3, cross the double yellow on me. The Bike almost hit me. Some people really few a death wish. I just wish they didn't try to involve me. Only saw 1 cop all weekend and that was after the roll over. The roads were really clear. I was expecting atleast some leaves. There were just a few spots, but last year it was all over. It was rather crowded with bikes this time. It seems to be getting larger every year. Atleast there weren't any semi's going through this year.

The first trip I make in the Elise is going ot be the Dragon. I'll start looking for a group when they take my order. :) I'm always open for a trip, with other elise owners, in my spyder until mine comes in.

·
Registered
307 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
HI Samurai,
Now your in my neck of the woods! The dragon's more fun on a motorcycle tho. You have to go midweek to because it's wall to wall on the weekends in spring summer.

Cherohala Skyway is another wonderful road right next to deals gap.

Chris
Yea, it gets crowded up there on miatas at the gap weekend. They just had a death at the Cherohala. It is a fun road. You should join us sometime. We have welcomed other cars. We had a stook this time. We take the "Snake" in the spring during Snakes And Dragons And Spyders (SADAS). This last spring we had a mini, a stook, and a something I forget.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Speaking of that pic-
http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/treeshot.jpg
http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/treeshrine3.jpg

I am thinking...

It is not the 205s all around. It is not the patch of leaves. Take responsibility for what happened with your car, or it will happen again.
Actually it was someone else that wrote that on there as a joke (inside joke on spyderchat). The leaves were bad at that time. It was around 7 AM and the roads were damp with leaves on the edges. He has never really deflected the blame off himself. It was just too fast for the road conditions.

We are just trying to make sure it doesn't happen again. We have had a perfect record until then. He also know he was very lucky to walk away in any manner.

·
Registered
307 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
HI Samurai,
Isn't that the tree at the Crossroads of time just at the start of the gap.

I was up their in Sept with the Ducati club ride.
Chris
Yes, the same tree. I was going in Sept, but had to work instead. I was going to go when the Prowler went off the road and when the Viper crashed. That was a bad weekend for the Dragon.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The highway between Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear will be quite scenic. Highway 1 has promise, say south of Carmel.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
BrianK,

If you live near Malibu, you are incredibly lucky. I have a friend who lives there and everytime we visit, we have some great fun. Mulholland, Decker, Piuma, Stunt, the Rock Store run, etc...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
(-California-)
- Mines Road, from Livermore to highway 130. Canyon driving at its finest.
- Highway 58, from 101 to I-5. Excellent road surface, fantastic corners, zero traffic.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well, if you are evrer out Grand Junction CO way you must try CO 141, almost 100 miles of curves "marked" 25mph -45mph. Nicely marked, I usually try for (2x)+10, well maybe only 95 for the 45 turns :)
This road is perfectly marked and paved. We met 2 other cars in the 1 hours drive.
Hers a pic

The great thing about roads out this way is that there is almost no traffic. So much so that you need to drive in groups in case someone breaks down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts