The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I can find a few people torrenting old manuals, but I really need a factory service manual for my 2006 Elise. =/ Where does one get these things?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Title says it all. I can find a few people torrenting old manuals, but I really need a factory service manual for my 2006 Elise. =/ Where does one get these things?
Use this link: http://lotustechinfo.com/subscriber_new.asp

If you pay $25 via PayPal, you get a 24 hour subscription that allows you to download the entire service manual for the Lotus as "pdf" files...

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
BTW, you only need the 24 hour subscription for $25. I can download all of it in (a little -eek-) less than that on my dial-up access...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am also looking for a manual, if I pay the $25, does it include everything? Or are there supplemental materials that I will need to get from another source. I have seen many manuals in parts, and they are incomplete. Is that the case for this download?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I am also looking for a manual, if I pay the $25, does it include everything? Or are there supplemental materials that I will need to get from another source. I have seen many manuals in parts, and they are incomplete. Is that the case for this download?
The Factory Manual that you download from LCU's web site includes everything EXCEPT the engine and Transmission internals (they are Toyota Manuals). It covers all systems of the car, includes the wiring diagrams, emission information (OBD-II codes and their causes/fixes), etc.

The Toyota Manuals can be acquired from Toyota. I managed to download a copy from Toyota's web site, but if you check some of the other posts, there are some "bootleg" copies of the appropriate Celica engine and transmission manuals. The engine and transmissions are straight out of a Celica, with the only difference being the 6th speed gear ratio (we have the European version). All torque values, etc. from the Toyota manual for the engine and transmission applies to our cars. The few things that Lotus changed from the Toyota versions are covered in the Lotus Factory Service Manual.

Every Elise/Exige owner should pay the $25 and get a copy of the manuals - even if you don't do your own work, it's a good idea to have the copy for someone who does do the work.

Although the various bootleg manuals on the internet are interesting to check out, they are always (at least the ones I've checked) for earlier S1 Elises with the Rover engine. Things are similar, so they are interesting to check out for those interested in the Elise, but you should have the correct one for doing work on the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks, Tim. That makes sense, I will have to download them. The more I get involved with the car, the more I like to do it on my own.

·
Registered
470 Posts
im not saying anyone should do this *cough* but couldnt someone buy it and put it on rapidshare? people could send a dollar or two to that person? again not saying this should be done *cough* just curious.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i paid ten dollars for access to toyota's website last night, and while i had no problem accessing the comparable celica GT repair manual (in a bajillion tiny snippets), i couldn't find the specific manuals referenced on lotustechinfo...i presume that the basic information is the same, but does the toyota website make available the 'non-celica' engine/supplement/transmission books used for our cars?..

...i ended up downloading the celica bootlegs instead, just to save the fuss of navigating toyota's obfuscation and get to sleep at a sane hour...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
no problem accessing the comparable celica GT repair manual (in a bajillion tiny snippets), i couldn't find the specific manuals referenced on lotustechinfo...i presume that the basic information is the same, but does the toyota website make available the 'non-celica' engine/supplement/transmission books used for our cars?..
Yea, I didn't have the exact manual number specified by Lotus - that would actually be the book as far as I know.

The Toyota manual that I downloaded was in a bajillion snippets - that I then pasted together. The information is the same as it's the same engine and transmission. The Toyota Celica info has info on both engines, so you sometimes have to skip every other section as you go through/use it - but the actual info is there. You don't really have need the automatic transmission info, but you can get that too... ;)

If by the 'non-Celica" supplements, you mean the Lotus specific info, that's included in the Lotus manual.

As for bootlegging the Lotus manual, the reality is that the $25 is a bargain. The last set of manuals that I bought prior to the Elise manual was for my Ford truck - around $500 for the set (hardcopy). Lotus (and other manufacturers) are required by US government regulations to make the emission repair information available - Lotus just went one step farther, and posted the entire manual. Let them make the $25 per manual - give them reason to keep up the practice. The last set of Lotus manuals I purchased (hardcopy) was around $200 - and that was 30 years ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Where can we get the hardcopies for the Elise?

I dunno I'm a hardcopy manual person and collect them for all my current cars, past cars, and even cars I've never owned but frequently work on. (I have a pretty decent collection)

So I rather not have a PDF but a physical book.

Is that possible and if so where do I find this? I realize it should be in the hundreds of dollars and that's fine.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts

I dunno I'm a hardcopy manual person and collect them for all my current cars, past cars, and even cars I've never owned but frequently work on. (I have a pretty decent collection)

Is that possible and if so where do I find this? I realize it should be in the hundreds of dollars and that's fine.
Your dealer, or any dealer, can obtain a hard copy for you. I can't remember how much it was but 2 years ago I went -eek- then got the download. You can always print out the PDFs and bind them for a hard copy also.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Lotus sells hardcopies, but they're very expensive, last one i bought was $150 for just the parts manual, and can take forever to get, i might be mistaken but some of them might be printouts of the pdf's too.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

I dunno I'm a hardcopy manual person and collect them for all my current

Just take a CD to any local print shop they can print the manual.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I print mine out at 4 x Super B3+ then i can write notes and such on them, then reincorporate the changes into the pdf's.

I've also got a set on double sided SB3+ that i keep in an architects tube for travelling.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is it 24 hours for 1 US day or 24 hours elapsed? Do they have to do something manual to create my account so I will need to get up in the middle of the night to do it Australian time?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts