The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a zenfolio account that I am going to use to sell youth sports pics but want to eliminate the zenfolio out of the website name so it appears as my own when going to the "home" page after an event and to make the web address shorter for buisness cards to help people remember/ go there in the first place (i.e. says www.jtj.com on a biz card instead of http://xxxxxx.zenfolio.com/galleries/ etc or something horribly long like that.)

I need to purchase a domain name for this but have heard countless stories of buying/registering a name when you choose a hosting service thru them. if you dont like thier service, they technically own the name and getting it back is likely to never happen without huge $$ paid or something. where can I go to get a name (lets just say jtj.com) only? I will get a host later as I only need a one page site under that domain to place some sample pics and a few hotlinks to the main sales galleries and shopping cart,..Im not a web guru so this may sound like old hat to some of you but its confusing to me.....

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I just bought several names through Godaddy.com a few days ago, and only bought hosting and put a site on chuforiagraffix.com (with still a lot of work to go and things to add, but it's a start)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You could also just buy the domain name and have it redirect to you Zenfolio account. That way you can use jtj.com on you business card but have the full zenfolio experience as the back end.

Godaddy and dreamhost are both pretty popular - I use godaddy myself and haven't had any complaints.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've been using dot5hosting for a couple of websites and also to register a couple of domain names that don't yet have sites.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could also just buy the domain name and have it redirect to you Zenfolio account. That way you can use jtj.com on you business card but have the full zenfolio experience as the back end.

Godaddy and dreamhost are both pretty popular - I use godaddy myself and haven't had any complaints.

are you familiar with zenfolio? I was told you couldnt do that by some mooks who supposedly know zenfolio in and out.I looked thru it and it seemed like you can do it that way, but I just got the account and havent really dived into it yet on setting it up, Iwould rather do that since I am paying them yearly. I will look into it more, but I still need to purchase a name anyway to do so... I will check into godaddy as i have heard several people using them. i guess if iam not buying any server hosting then i shouldnt have to worry about them keeping my domain name hostage...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
+1 for godaddy, they are very reasonably priced, + you get a free email account with the.com name as the addy ! I have my bands website names parked with godaddy http://www.facelvegamusic.com and I have [email protected] as an email.
The actual website is hosted on my .Mac home account and I have 4 different urls that go there if you enter them ! You just go to the forwarding section , enable mask and you could have many different web names that go to the same location ! You can also later upgrade to add online store capabilities

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
are you familiar with zenfolio? I was told you couldnt do that by some mooks who supposedly know zenfolio in and out.
I have never used zenfolio before but domain redirecting is pretty straightforward - I dont believe there is any way to stop it. When the visitor types in www.jtj.com the DNS server will cause a redirect and they will end up at www.zenfolio.com/XXXXX. Its important to note that the vistior will still see the zenfolio address in their browser - jtj.com will just be an easy to remember url.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
dreamhost is cheap and cheerful, but they do have an awful lot of downtime and problems, not that a lot of cheap hosters don't have similar issues, but dh is more vocal about it.. They're a quirky bunch, and they have a habit of overcharging by 2 million dollars.

i always use network solutions http://www.nsi.com for my domain handling, never had any problems with registering, hosting, editing etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i always use network solutions http://www.nsi.com for my domain handling, never had any problems with registering, hosting, editing etc.
Several people have suggested them to me as well as they apparently are the main"registrar" of the names on the web and alot of the other services just go thru them like wholesalers. I ended up just using godaddy, and got a domain close to what I wanted for $10.00. I was right when i assumed any decent and short domain in the .com sector was taken, and I didnt want to have a .info or .biz extension, those just seem so low budget/ghetto, like I am selling amway or tahitian whizz water.... I have a couple of hotmail accounts and my original/main account is only 4 letters long ([email protected])... that should tell you how long I have had that one! you cant even think about getting a web based email without using 6 to 8 character now. someone already had the one I wanted at .com, and premium resellers had the .net, .org, and a couple of others for anywhere from $400 to $1000 each.. no thanks! I just wish sometime in the mid/late 90's I had spent a few grand to nab up some good names and hold them at bay for the tens of thousands of dollars i have seen some supposedly sell for... you cant get a return like that from a good fund, cd or most stocks!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
creative use of the country codes can help you out, most people are beginning to understand that not all webnames end in .com, but it still needs some education.

for instance, chances of me getting a good gotham.com are in the 5 figures, so i did goth.am instead.

I registered did.com in the early 90s and it got hijacked by a squatter, that wasn't happiness.

nsi aren't the cheapest but they work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts