The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a helmet I can use for some upcoming autocross and track events. (I currently have a full-face motorcycle/kart helmet which is too old at this point to be allowed at such events.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for someplace in the Denver area that has a good selection and can help me pick out the right type? I know a most of the motorcycle dealerships carry helmets but I was hoping to find someplace a bit more car centric. :)

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I bought this on eBay and am quite happy with it. It is full-face so if you are looking for an open-face, do a search.

HJC CL-16 Motorcycle Helmet White Large

It was only about $115.00. If I use it a lot, it will become the passenger helmet and I'll buy something a little more fancy.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
First look at ratings.

Auto racing helmets are rated by Snell as either SA, M, or K...
Snell SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.
Snell M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.
Snell K Rated Helmets:
Snell "K" (Karting) rated helmets are designed for Karting applications. They are subjected to the same test standards as SA helmets except the do not require a fire retardant interior.
What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
- SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
- SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
- SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

Some SCCA clubs, especially smaller ones will allow M rated helmets. Big more organized ones, such as Denver usually with check your rating. That also do at Nationals and at Track days.

It's all comes down to one thing! What is your grape worth to you? I saw what was left of an M rated helmet in a Miata rollover.

·
Registered
945 Posts
ON Track Performance in Englewood has some race helmets in stock if you want to try on sizes, but I'd just measure your head and buy online.

I used to use a motorcycle helmet but ended up getting a Zamp Motorsports (cheap) SAH2010 HANS-compatible helmet online since I plan to eventually do Chump Car and will want a neck/head restraint system. I measured my head and went off their sizing table and it fit first try. Even if it hadn't most online helmet retailers understand that it's something that needs to fit and have a liberal return policy.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Head shape means that some will fit better than others if your head is more round or aero dynamically shaped.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someplace in the Denver area that has a good selection and can help me pick out the right type?
Yes...
Buy a nomex balaclava and talk everyone into bringing their helmets to Mimi's, and you buy a large Pizza?

·
Illegal Alien
4,745 Posts
Saferacer.com has good selection good service and policy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input everyone. I took a bit of gamble and ordered a Bell Sport Mag SA2010 online. It fits well with good visibility. I'm getting excited for the upcoming track season. :)

·
Illegal Alien
4,745 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Just bought my son one at the Discovery Auto trailer trackside at Road Atlanta. Ron has a trailer there at CHIN and other HPDEs. Plenty to try on, custom fitted some cheek pads. And he made it quite a pleasurable experience.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Sounds like you're set for now - just FYI there is Wine Country Motorsport location opening in Englewood at somepoint "soon". Not sure what soon means though...

With this be your first season out with the car? You should connect with a few of us local track rats (of which I think I'm the biggest rat from this group). I mean I'm, uh....

Seriously though hit me up via PM as I can help connect you to a larger group out here and give you some advice (if needed) and instruction (if desired).

-Ross

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Ross,

We chatted briefly at the PMP event last fall. I had meant to send you a PM but I slipped my mind. I'll do that as soon as I click on the reply button...

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Sounds good my friend, PM replied too.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts