The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, you need more than a motorcycle helmet for the car. Most tracks/events require SA2000 or greater. I had a heck of time finding one before (until I found out I was too big for my old car + helmet), but I bet some of you know a good place or two.

Recommendations for place to buy, type of helmet (open/closed face, name brand, etc.), or other good info on the subject?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There are lots of places on line but how will you know if it fits? Don't for a second believe that there is any consistantcy in the sizes between manufacturers, there isn't. I would find a local retailer and try them on and bring your prices from the internet search. I have always been able to find good local prices and like to do business with those retailers who support our local motorsports acitviites.
I like full face helmets, and as you note do not buy an M2000 get an SA2000 it is different construction and different protection.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I wear this one. You can buy it as a M2000 for $319 or a SA2000 for $369. It's available in Black, Red, Yellow, Metallic Blue and Metallic Silver.
I have the Black one.

Neil

·
Banned
901 Posts
Brian:

I have an SA2000 Bell Vortex that I love. Comfortable, well ventilated and usable in and open or closed car. Carbon fiber construction makes it very light.

Pyrotect is Bell's lower priced brand. Their SA200 full face helmet is the same basic design shell of my Vortex but in fiberglass with different padding inside. It's about 1/2 the price too. A friend has this helmet and it's very well done.

If you are a Lotus Ltd. you can get a nice discount from Helmet City for Bell, Pyrotect or Simpson helmets.

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
James A said:
There are lots of places on line but how will you know if it fits? Don't for a second believe that there is any consistantcy in the sizes between manufacturers, there isn't. I would find a local retailer and try them on and bring your prices from the internet search. I have always been able to find good local prices and like to do business with those retailers who support our local motorsports acitviites.
I like full face helmets, and as you note do not buy an M2000 get an SA2000 it is different construction and different protection.
James is correct. The only way to really know if it fits, is to try them on. Each Manuracturer is different in their sizes. I have an old Arai GP3K SA95 Helmet. I believe Arai is now up to the GP5's. The GP5 is what the F1 boys are using today. If you do sedan driving look into the Arai K series it's a little larger in the eye opening for sedan racing. This is one of my favorite helmets.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Banned
901 Posts
Christian:

On the Lotus Ltd. web site you enter the "Members Area" with the password published on the insde cover of ReMarque, your monthly newsletter. This gets you in. Go to the "Vendor Discount" area and you can see all the companies, including Helmet City, offering Lotus Ltd. members discounts.

To get the discount, you have to speak with the right person!

Membership has its priviledges.

Mark

Join Lotus Ltd.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Will motorcycle helmets be acceptable?

You could probably go to a motorcycle shop and try the sized on there. Best prices are usually through internet retailers.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
They should be, but they usually are not. The SAs are more expensive than the Ms, mostly because they make less of them to spread the cost of certifying them across.

There are only three real differences between SA and M helmets:

SAs have fireproof linings, and Ms are not required to have that.

The SA have to withstand an additional set of impact tests that simulate hitting a roll bar (they both have to withstand hits by a pointed object, a flat plate, and a spherical object - the SA just has an additional test of a cylindrical object).

The Ms have to have bigger "view port" so that you can see out of them better.

In many cases, and for track days where they are not requiring drivers to wear full Nomex driving suits, the M helmets is just as good as an SA, and a lot cheaper. But the rules are rules...

If you don't already have a helmet, bit the bullet and buy an SA - it will save a lot of hassle in the long run...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:

You could probably go to a motorcycle shop and try the sized on there. Best prices are usually through internet retailers.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/

Allan,

All the track events, test days and races I have done all required SA rated helmets or you could not go out on the track period. Hey rules are the rules. Honestly for track driving the SA is the way to go and it will save you a lot of future hassle at the race tracks.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Every Porsche or BMW club track event I've done was with my Arai or Shoei motorcycle helmet. I'm sure competitive events have more strict requirements.

Feffman, what does Lotus Ltd require for track days?

Like they say, if you have a $100 head buy a $100 helmet....

·
Registered
609 Posts
I guess it varies a lot by organizer and venue

For example, I've gone on several Bondurant events over the past few years using a motorcycle helmet that's rated Snell M85 with no problem. AFAIK, both NHRA and the National Auto Sport Association also say Snell M85 is OK.

As Tim said, if you don't already have a helmet, then definitely get yourself some good protection that will be acceptable at most or all track events. However, if you already have a decent lid you may want to check with the organizer of your event to see if it's acceptable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts