The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a post of the official Lotus site debating which Radar Detector was the best. I have made up my mind that I want to buy a V1. Where is the cheapest place to buy one?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Unfortunately, as has already been said... the only way to buy them new is directly from the manufacturer.

Last time I checked ebay, they weren't going for much cheaper used either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
V1 is the only way to go

I am sure this does not need to be said seeing as you have already made your choice, but the V1 is the only way to go with radar dectors. I have had one for about 5 years and I would have paid 3 times what it cost and still saved moiney in tickets it has saved me from. Since then some have said that the Passport 8500 was better, so I went and got one of those. A week and one road trip later I sold it for $100. Nothing out there is as good as a V1.

And as for the company, I had to like the fact that one time I was calling the company to have them do the display upgrade for me and I waited on hold for what they deemed too long and actually ended up talking with Mike Valentine. Thought that was pretty kewl.

Enjoy your V1.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'll second that

I've been saved numerous times by my V1 including
most recently from laser. Laser detector went off, I moved over and the guy behind kept going past me. Poor guy never knew what hit him.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't be disappointed but my wife is gonna be furious if she ever finds out how much I paid for it.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
What happens at Elisetalk... stays at Elisetalk.

:)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The V1 is great and worth every penny.

Just a warning to anyone who is considering buying a used one - the company makes incremental improvements to the design over the years; it's not just one model that's been for sale for years. They DO offer an upgrade plan for older models. If you consider buying a used one, ask for the serial number and go to Valentine's website, where you can enter this number and be provided with a cost for upgrading the unit to current specifications. This will help you determine the TRUE value of a used V1 detector.

·
Registered
35 Posts
V1 Upgrades

That is one of the great parts (both for Valentine 1 and for me). Every improvement that they make to the V1 can be retro fitted into older V1. So you buy it once and then upgrade it if they make improvments. I give them a call about once a year and just make sure that my V1 has all the latest gadgets that it can. It saves from buying a new detector and they make a few bucks keeping me in the latest and greatest.

I have been pondering getting a full new V1 since it has been over 5 or so years since I got mine. Maybe that will be my welcome home present to my new Elise. *grin*

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just curious if anyone here has any contact for a person or a company that can do the mirror stealth mount of V1? I think more than a few of us here will be interested in such an installation.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
agent.5 said:
Just curious if anyone here has any contact for a person or a company that can do the mirror stealth mount of V1? I think more than a few of us here will be interested in such an installation.
There may be others, but here is one place:

http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html

This mirror is often referred to as the Jim Powell mirror.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts