The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always like how the European 88-93 Esprits used a 2 part lens cover . 1/2 amber & 1/2 white. the US cars have all Amber lense.

Does anyone know where to get the bi-color "euro" lenses? I called JAE already and they said they haven't had them in a while.

US Esprit:

Euro Esprit:

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
I had been looking too, but no sources found yet. Then I saw a posting on a forum that said the Euro two color lens do NOT fit the USA single color housing. I have not confirmed that comment yet. The all clear versions with a yellow bulb may be the closest fit, but I prefer two color lens.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I can confirm that comment, as I probably made it. The all clear are molded from the amber/clear, so they fit equally poorly. You have to oval out the mounting holes on the lens, and carefully cut off part of the bosses that the screws go through. I've been running them for years, but they are not a direct swap by any means.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The lenses from PUK fit pretty well, but you do have to trim the screw holder and use new screws if I remember right. Pretty easy from my remote memory.
Don't know about the SJ lenses.
Changing my sidemarker assembly was way more effort.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got mine from SJ last summer. They have to be slightly modded like Sanj stated. all you need is a dremel with some attachments and make sure you save the little black rubber grommets for the screws to keep water out. Real easy and worth the change, makes USA cars a little more exotic.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Side marker replacement

I love the look of my SE. BUT I HATED the side markers. They don't match the car. They look like they came from a truck or a Jeep. From the S4 on the side markers match the car.

So I started looking for a replacement that would look better, sleeker, and wouldn't have the ugly rubber gasket. I did not want to do any major bumper mods and I wanted to leave the possibility of a purist reverting to the originals. My other requirement was to get front clear lenses rather than amber. I literally spent a couple days looking at cars in parking lots.

Till I saw a C5 Corvette.
The lenses are aftermarket C5 Vette lenses. Widely available and not expensive. They come in several colors(including amber) and styles. The existing bulb holders fit with minor mods. I had to open the center hole a little, and drill a locator hole in the fenders. I glued them down with silicone adhesive so they could be removed. The bulbs were changed to LEDs, amber in the front.
The original lenses can be reinstalled with no problem and no patching.

I am very happy with them and like the look both day and night. AND I figure weigh a few grams less and are more aerodynamic increasing my top end by probably 0.00005 mph.

Randy

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
check here

lotus car spares, parts and accessories, genuine lotus spares and parts, own brand lotus spares and parts

click on "side/indicator lamp (cobo)", looks to be what you are looking for
Many thanks for the link - my stuff came in today - lens, stainless steel brake lines, and touch up paint. Fast shipment considering it's from the UK. And Steve @ sjsportscars.co.uk really fast on email replies and shipped the order within 24 hours - arrived in about 9 days:

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
Many thanks for the link - my stuff came in today - lens, stainless steel brake lines, and touch up paint. Fast shipment considering it's from the UK. And Steve @ sjsportscars.co.uk really fast on email replies and shipped the order within 24 hours - arrived in about 9 days:

Heads up - as Sanj pointed out, there are some mods to be made to make them fit. However, after struggling for 1.5 hours, I've given up on ovaling out the holes - my posts where they attach are simply too narrow to reach.

The Euro signal light holes are about 1/4" apart more than the original USA Lucas lenses. If I oval the holes any further, the structural integrity of the lens will be very weakened.

I ended up putting my lens on using clear silicone rubber - the bead is tiny and thin - just enough to hold but thin enough to pry loose without damage. The holes were filled with silicone to keep the water out.

My lenses are also mounted 'backwards' - the clear lens on the OUTSIDE. The reason I got them was to use the clear part as a lazy man's solution to daytime running lights (DRL). It's not the best, but better than using my foglights at higher current draw. Will post pictures later.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
Finally installed Euro turn lens on 88 Esprit

After some procrastination and false starts, here's my Euro lens installed on my 88 Esprit. It's a daily driver, so I'm less concerned about the crude epoxy hack job I did on the lens.

Not sure how every one else elongated the holes and mounted. My mount points would have destroyed large chunks of the lens to mount. I filled in the factory holes and redrilled on the inner circle edge for new center.

In other words, relocated the center holes inward 1/2 recessed hole diameter of original. Fill in with expoxy and redrill center on the INNER edge of the former recessed hole. WARNING: This worked for me, but may not work for your housing - use at your own risk.

Here's some various photos of what I did:

Euro turn lens on 88 Lotus Esprit Turbo pictures by eberin - Photobucket

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't have to oval the homes to make mine work. ii was tight but I was able to get the screws in. I did have to shorten the screw bosses on the backfire of the lenses though. I don't remember the exact amount, but out was somewhere around .400". It was very easy to do on a vertical mill.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
you know what they say... "once you go black"....
[snip]
Black wouldn't work for my daily drive. I have been using the foglights as daytime running lights - many other drivers can't either see the low-slung Esprit, or misjudge how fast its moving.

The number of dangerous 'left turn head-on collisions' is dramatically reduced when I have my fog lights on.

But sometimes I forget to turn them off (and dead battery at end of work day).

This Euro lenses are a mixed bag - the white portion is 5W bulb and is obviously not as bright as the 55W fog light. But if I accidently leave them on, less likely a dead battery. We'll see how well they work.

I should rewire the fog lights to ignition, but hesistant to start hacking the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
the tint surprisingly doesnt effect visibility and the lights still glow orange. slap an LED bulb in there even if you dont tint anything and it will be a little brighter!
[snip]
Do you know what bulb type you used? My car is a US Federal with the Lucas assemblies?

My Esprit driver's handbook says the "Parking lamps (front) 5 watts, replacement # 239".

However, when I pulled the bulb, it has '37R 5 watts' and resembles a 1157 taillight bulb, but the bayonet pins on the base appear to be higher than normal.
And googling the '239' shows a much different (smaller) bulb.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts