The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I really dig the look of these wheels. But from what I can gather they were only available on the other side of the pond... Tell me if I'm wrong.

Would love to get an 07 Exige S that looks JUST like the one in the photo. But someone once told me that those rims are a fair bit heavier than the ones that came stock on the US Exige S's. Any truth to that claim?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts

I really dig the look of these wheels. But from what I can gather they were only available on the other side of the pond... Tell me if I'm wrong.

Would love to get an 07 Exige S that looks JUST like the one in the photo. But someone once told me that those rims are a fair bit heavier than the ones that came stock on the US Exige S's. Any truth to that claim?
You are wrong. You can order a set from LotusGarage in either black or silver. Frankly, any dealer can get them for you. I have a black set on my Elise, and a silver set sitting in my garage, going unused. You can check the images in my avatar to see the wheels in black on my former Exige (GG).

From Lotus Garage last year they were around $1800 a set, black or silver.

They are also the wheels used on the Elise 72D in gold, and the California edition of the Elise. Both sold here.

They seem to be the standard wheel on the European Exige. Most Euro Exige spec photos have these on the car.

Weight wise, they fall mid-way between the standard/base wheels, and the LSS wheels on the Exige.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
even lotus' website has them listed for sale.

by the way.....they're heeeeaaaavy
Again, lighter than standard/base wheels, heavier than LSS...fall neatly in between.

Average driver would not begin to feel the difference on the street, or on the track.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
i fancy them. But i concur about the rumors that they hide some junk in the trunk. ;)

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here. I especially don't get the black wheels on black body color... just blends in too much imo. Other than that those wheels look great in silver.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Holy thread revival, Batman!

So does anyone know the weight of these wheels vs the LSS wheels vs the standard wheels?

I guess what I'm after is: Will the performance hit that the car will take (from the wheels being heavier) going to outweigh the fact that I like the aesthetics of these wheels much better than the LSS wheels?

I realize that's a bit of an odd question because how much I like the wheels is a unquantifiable factor.... but I'm just looking for opinions here... :)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Holy thread revival, Batman!

So does anyone know the weight of these wheels vs the LSS wheels vs the standard wheels?

I guess what I'm after is: Will the performance hit that the car will take (from the wheels being heavier) going to outweigh the fact that I like the aesthetics of these wheels much better than the LSS wheels?

I realize that's a bit of an odd question because how much I like the wheels is a unquantifiable factor.... but I'm just looking for opinions here... :)
Do a search, the weights are posted here somewhere.

They are slightly lighter than the standard wheels, significantly heavier than LSS.

Performance hit? How do you drive your car? Are you at a point where a tenth or two of a second to 60 makes a difference?

·
Registered
381 Posts
acceleration, straight line, prob not noticeable, but unsprung weight from wheels affects suspension travel, cornering and braking performance steet or track, car as light as this most drivers (the kind the drive lotus's) should be able to feel the difference

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
acceleration, straight line, prob not noticeable, but unsprung weight from wheels affects suspension travel, cornering and braking performance steet or track, car as light as this most drivers (the kind the drive lotus's) should be able to feel the difference
Funny thing is these wheels were always original equipment for the european exiges, including the 'S's.

·
Registered
381 Posts
approx 1:15 ratio meaning every one kg heavier a wheel = additional 15kg weight in the car. - quoted from tuning shop who quoted from rays engineering (volk racing wheels) website, not sure if that is calculated on each wheel, even if it was one, that's significant.

·
Registered
123 Posts
approx 1:15 ratio meaning every one kg heavier a wheel = additional 15kg weight in the car. - quoted from tuning shop who quoted from rays engineering (volk racing wheels) website, not sure if that is calculated on each wheel, even if it was one, that's significant.
sound like you are planning to replace your oem wheels when your car arrives, can I have your oem ones then? please
:bow:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts