The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watkins Glen or Mont Tremblant? :shrug:

I'm trying to put together a mid-summer HPDE weekend, and I could make either of these work. I'd like to hear about any direct experience with either of these and what the board has to say on which track would be more enjoyable for me with my relative noob status and stock Elise.

I've had a couple of days at NHIS, where there isn't much run-off to speak of, but the top speeds are low. I'm comfortable with my skills there so far, and am looking to try something new.

Which of these larger tracks do you think is the better "next step" as I gain more track experience?

TIA...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the reply.

If I'm going to go south, then Lime Rock and Monticello are closer. BTW, the SCDA Lime Rock date would be convenient. Do you have any experience there, and where would you rank those tracks compared to The Glenn and Mt. Tremblant?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My vote is Mont-Tremblant. I have always wanted to go to Mont-Tremblant since I got a video with Mario Andretti in the early 90s that showed an in car by him

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

If I'm going to go south, then Lime Rock and Monticello are closer. BTW, the SCDA Lime Rock date would be convenient. Do you have any experience there, and where would you rank those tracks compared to The Glenn and Mt. Tremblant?
I've been to WG, LR, NJMP and Monticello. My first time at Mt. Tremblant will be later this year in October, so I can't comment about that.

Watkins is just a fantastic track with a lot of history. It's quite smooth, high speed and a blast. Lime Rock is a perfect track for the Lotus, but the nonsense with the driving club there makes me want to vote with my dollars and go elsewhere. I was lured to go to Mt. Tremblant because I've heard it's equally as enjoyable to drive on as WG.

I do like NJMP, but it's quite far for you being in NH, so I'd go with Watkins or Mt. Tremblant this year, then go to the other next year if you can only make one.

If you're interested, come to WG in August (24th and 25th) with the Audi Club. There's already two Elises (mine and an instructor) who are already registered. I can ask the registrar to assign you to Jay so you'll have an Instructor with an Elise. He's a great instructor too.
Register Here

Greg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Argg! I have to work the tremblant weekend and am jealous. Let me know how the elise is on it. I just got back from calabogie which is close to Tremblant and it was fantastic. Far more technical than the Glen with 20+ corners and lots of neat corners - blind apexes, decreasing radius, corners you approach from mid-track, corners that aren't corners, corners you don't fully exit. Probably the best track I've been to and not much further than Tremblant. Haven't been to Tremblant and like they say its hard to get onto so enjoy. If you run A group, make sure you are faster than Mike in his red 911 and Sean in his Silver STI so I can rub their noses in it, or better yet, let them pass you so when I go against them I will look like a track god.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
better yet, let them pass you so when I go against them I will look like a track god.
That's not saying much...:rolleyes:

I'll be lucky to keep pace in group 3 (of 4, in this club's nomenclature). I'm still at the stage where smoothness, control and consistent technique are all ahead of speed in terms of where the focus needs to be.

I'll post an update when I return.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Awesome tracks, both! I've raced both in my Formula Ford and they rank as my two favorite tracks. I race most often at NHMS and LRP but that's out of convenience and proximity. Both WGI and Tremblant have a great flow to drive, lot of elevation change, smooth surfaces, and some big-balls corners (turn 2-3 downhill at Tremblant, the left hander into the boot at the Glen come to mind). WGI is a little longer and has more F1 history (20 years vs. two -- check out the bar at the Seneca Lodge!). Mont Tremblant is a charming town in an incredibly beautiful part of Canada. I just came back from watching the FF Fortieth Anniversary at RA and that track might join my fave list but I didn't get to drive it yet.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tremblant with BMWCCA august 7,8,9.

There are only 30 people registered which should make for tons of track time!

-G
I'll be up there instructing. Hope to see more Northeast Lotus members there too. I want to try out some seats for next upgrade. Should be a great event.

Gary, just got my new DBA4000 discs back from 300 Below, cryogenic treatment, cryogenic processing , deep cryogenic tempering cryo treatment:D so should be good to go with the HT10 pads. Will probably end up with stock tires turned into slicks at the end of the weekend.:clap:

See Ya!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts