The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Does anybody have a picture or diagram showing where to measure front and rear ride heights? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
In this diagram between the floor (level!) and point 'B' for the front ride height and point 'A' for the rear ride height:

(so basically the ends of the main chassis beam you can see under the car.. NOT on the engine undertray)

All ride heights mentioned by Lotus in their documentation are based on the car with 1/2 tank of fuel and 75Kg of ballast in each seat.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Arno :bow:

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
What is the ride height for USA cars and European Cars? I know they are different. I think the ride height for Euopean is 130mm...or was that 30mm?

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
yeah...I was never good with metrics..

must be 130

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The cars i set up i use 117f & 119-120r. From the factory the track packs are 135 & 133 non track are 140. carl

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
What is the ride height for USA cars and European Cars? I know they are different. I think the ride height for Euopean is 130mm...or was that 30mm?
Charles set mine up at 130 mm

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Charles set mine up at 130 mm

That is what I will set mine up at. I bought the Sachs Shocks and will be selling a full set to the Elise owner for $1395.

I drove a Sachs car while I was there and was greatly impressed. Plus your reccomendation helped me make the decision.

I will br going back to Auto Europe sometime next week to have some other work done.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'll have to check these points this weekend. I alway's thought the my Exige looked slightly higher in the front then rear. But, this is only visible when on my lift at eye level. I measured the bodywork in front of the rear wheel and behind the front wheel. It was almost a half inch higher. It was the same for both sides. I wonder if that's just the body work? I'll get under the car this weekend and measure. It's totally stock and have not changed a thing since purchase so I would imagine it's fine.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I'll have to check these points this weekend. I alway's thought the my Exige looked slightly higher in the front then rear. But, this is only visible when on my lift at eye level. I measured the bodywork in front of the rear wheel and behind the front wheel. It was almost a half inch higher. It was the same for both sides. I wonder if that's just the body work? I'll get under the car this weekend and measure. It's totally stock and have not changed a thing since purchase so I would imagine it's fine.
use the "jacking points" to measure from - we can rig up a little inside caliper to do the measuring this weekend if you like. its kinda hard to do it with a tape measurer.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about. Before I lowered my car, it seemed to me the front was higher than the rear. It looked as though the splitter was pointed upward. My guess is that it was higher so you wouldn't scrape the splitter. Well, since I've lowered my track pack fully I haven't scraped it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Actually, It's when I view the car directly from the side. Only really notice it when it's on the lift and the bottom of the car is at eye level. Between the two wheels it just looks a little higher in the front.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
It looked the same on mine, but when I verified it was 130mm at each corner.

BTW, according to the shop manual, stock should be 130mm all around, 'recommended' 120mm all around for track.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about. Before I lowered my car, it seemed to me the front was higher than the rear. It looked as though the splitter was pointed upward. My guess is that it was higher so you wouldn't scrape the splitter. Well, since I've lowered my track pack fully I haven't scraped it.
Ara, did you ever get your car's ride height measured? I remember you saying that you lowered the spring perches as far as they could go... I just lowered my car yesterday to 120mm in the front (122mm in the rear), and there's still quite a few threads left on the spring perches... in fact, I've only taken 4 turns out on both sides total...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I ginned up a quick height gauge using two pieces of galvanized sheet (it was scrap from an old project)... I calibrated the scale using my digital caliper... if I were really ambitious, I'd cut a slot on one piece and put two screws through the other... but it works easily enough to use one-handed.

The problem is, the floor of my garage is uneven enough that I get different measurements (+/- 2mm) depending on where the wheels are... :wallbang:

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Ara, did you ever get your car's ride height measured? I remember you saying that you lowered the spring perches as far as they could go... I just lowered my car yesterday to 120mm in the front (122mm in the rear), and there's still quite a few threads left on the spring perches... in fact, I've only taken 4 turns out on both sides total...
wow, really? What do your fender gaps look like. No, haven't measured the ride height yet. I'm going to take the car in for service on Thursday before the ROVAL on Friday. I'll find out then. Haven't even gone for alignment. I need to take a vacation to work on the car as I have several parts lying around that I need to install as well. :wallbang:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
wow, really? What do your fender gaps look like. No, haven't measured the ride height yet. I'm going to take the car in for service on Thursday before the ROVAL on Friday. I'll find out then. Haven't even gone for alignment. I need to take a vacation to work on the car as I have several parts lying around that I need to install as well. :wallbang:
This is what the left front looks like <b>without</b> ballast, or me, in the car... it's close to 10 mm's or so lower when around 200# is sitting in the driver's seat...

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just measured the ride height with fitfan. My visual was confirmed and the car is slightly higher in the front then the rear. We measured from the jacking points. I think it was 1/8 inch off. I have never made any adjustments so it came from the factory like this. Is this common? I would imagine any height adjustments would need to be followed by an alignment and corner balance. Anyone else have their car delivered without appropriate settings? This is a 2007 Exige.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
nothing a light battery, exhaust, carbon wing and helium ballons won't fix :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts