The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my installer just called to see where I want my Valentine1 mounted.

Where do you fellow Lotus owners have yours mounted? Also, should I have the remote installed? He says the car is so small that I'll be able to reach, but I guess this depends on where the radar is mounted.

I'm completely clueless to all this so your opinions, reasons, and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
On the windshield with the suction cups -poke-

I have my soft top off most of the year and would rather it not be stolen :)

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I played around with different places. Had it on a custom mount on the rear...

Eventually concluded it made the most sense to not have it as permanently installed. To not use the remote. Just a simple attach to the inside of the windshield with the suction cups and run the wire to the cig lighter and call it done. Then remove it.

If you are determined to have a permanent install, it should be in some sort of enclosure and hung from the rear hoop cover. Or you could use the bracket that Matt G makes, but hide it when parked. Then you can see it in the mirror anyway, so you still don't need a remote. But if you wanted to, the remote can be located in the dash cubby. Or in the light switch panel. Or under the mirror. Or on the visor. If it was me, I would have it installed in the light switch panel.

But like I said, it ended up being easiest to slap it to the windshield when I needed to use it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you have a hard top, the easiest and quickest way to mount it is to stick it to the roof with velcro. You can snake the wires around either seat and up the sill.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi,
I recommend the bracket from MattG that mounts the V1 between the seats on the interior lamp. I also got the remote display and put it in the dash on the left side. (Hade to cut a whole) and then I put the remote on / off button in the left cubby.

Works great, it is out of the way, and and pretty concealed.

Ohh, it works for Laser as well :mad:

If you want some pictures I can take some tomorrow and send to you.

M

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car is in the shop right now waiting for my decision so no ordering stuff. I guess I could take it home since they are doing audio stuff for me too, but I want it to be as seamless as possible.

How ghetto does it look mounted on the windshield? Any one got pix? Is it a pain in the but to put up each time?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
How ghetto does it look mounted on the windshield? Any one got pix? Is it a pain in the but to put up each time?
Very, especially because of the cord going from the windshield down to the power source.

No pix.

Probably not, but again, go with Matt G's bracket and a remote display. Or Mr. C's bracket and a remote display.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

This looks even better when it is not illuminated by the bright light of the flash. People ask me if it's stock.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...cket-elise-exige-26841/index2.html#post529335

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... so I'm searching more and more threads, seems it may be best to have it in the back above the light since my rear window is tinted and it would be less visible for attracting unwanted attention. I see Matt's bracket and Randy's chase cam clamp. I'm wondering what the best solution is. Decisions decisions.:wallbang:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Either is fine (I actually have used Matt's bracket, Mr. C's, and Randy's and all are great.)

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
If you decide to put it there, you could have the installer pre-wire it now and then do it later with the bracket. That part is not a big deal. The important thing would be to do the wiring and remote now.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Definitely prewire it as Randy says. You can always change your mind later but wiring it is a lot of work. Which bracket you use might depend on whether you have a harness bar, if you do then the bracket I sell is going to be tight and you'd probably be better off with one of the other options. I've heard nothing but good things about all of them.

Here's a link to a thread where I talked about the installation a bit, and it also shows what I did with the remote display module (others have installed it by the headlight switch):
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/my-interior-modifications-43516/

If I'm concerned about security when I park, I place a baseball cap over the V1 to mask it from view. It doesn't hide it 100%, but I believe does mask it from a casual glance.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'd mount it on the windshield. I don't have a V1; but, you can wedge the cord in between the windshield and the A-pillar. It may take some heat shrink or well-wrapped electrical tape, but it will stay. FWIW, I always took my detector down when I left the top off.

BTW, cool kitty in your avatar. :)

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your suggestions... I think I'm going with Matt's setup. I'm leaving my car in the shop over the weekend so hopefully the bracket arrives ASAP.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Get the Mr C mount and mount it backwards, so You don't need a remote monitor and you can see the readings through the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,682 Posts
I really like my solution. The unit is Velcro'd facing forward over my right shoulder to the roll bar covering. Can't see it from outside the car at all. The remote unit is also Velcro'd to the top of the dashboard at the base of the driver's side A pillar, right next to the vent. Almost can't see it from outside the car, but it's very easy to see from the driver's seat.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really like my solution. The unit is Velcro'd facing forward over my right shoulder to the roll bar covering. Can't see it from outside the car at all. The remote unit is also Velcro'd to the top of the dashboard at the base of the driver's side A pillar, right next to the vent. Almost can't see it from outside the car, but it's very easy to see from the driver's seat.
You still have to do wiring right? Do you have pix?

·
Registered
232 Posts
The V1 comes with a power cord and lighter plug.

I stuck mine on the Mr C bracket, which looks tres cool.

I have meant to hard wire the thing, but it has now been three months with the "temporary" set-up.

I have the remote in the dash cubby and just ran the cable under the sills.

I plan to drill out the starter switch panel like V1 Install in a 2005 Federal Elise
but until I find somewhere to change the LEDs or get off my rear and do it myself, I will leave as is. It sucks that V1 only has red LEDs.

The power cord will come out if you corner hard enough;)

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I have a Beltronics STi Driver and mount it in the center of the windshield using suction cups just above the dash (as shown) so that (1) I can detect laser (most cops target the nose of the car and so your detector can't pick up the laser unless it's in this position), (2) I can easily remove it if I do get pulled over (having a radar detector in sight if you're ever pulled over for speeding is like having burglar's tools visible - there's just a presumption of guilt), (3) the LED display doesn't show through my rear window if a cop hits me with radar from behind, (4) I can easily remove and hide it when I park somewhere, and (5) when driving around it's less visible there than it is mounted in the middle or top of the windshield. My unit has good detection range in this position. It takes a little while to learn to interpret the signals you get from any detector, but now that I'm used to mine I'm certainly glad I have it.

Here's a lighter plug extension cord if you need one:

Amazon.com: LIGHTER PLUG EXTENSION CORD -- 10' COILED: Automotive

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a Bell Sti and live in an area where RD are not legal (oops). Because of the legality I must totally conceal the unit. In most cases the laser protection only will serve to indicate you have been caught. The RD is much better picking up radar than laser. With this in mind the easy and cheap install is to simply place the RD behind the headrest and wire down the seat to the cig socket. It can be hardwired or use the standard plug. I put a little foam in both the rear seat headrest area to remove any imprint of the unit and it is totally concealed. I admit it is not optimum installation but seems to work very well and cost nothing.

I am currently developing a fiberglass bracket to be installed in the center of the roll bar upper area near the brake light. This bracket will use the stock attach points and be blended with the roll bar housing to look totally stock. I am not going to worry about laser protection as I am also installing a LPP (laser pro park) to pick up laser and jam it but if desired a window can be cut into the front and rear of the bracket to accept the laser option.

If there is sufficient interest in the bracket I will manufacture a supply to be offered to the members. I don't think this will be a popular item as it is legal in most states to own and use a RD.

Good luck with your install. Feel free to pm me if you are interested.

Cheers...........Phil

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mr. C's Mount! Looks Bad A$$

1 - 20 of 31 Posts