The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a V1, and noticed the cig. adapter is behind the chair.
I was wondering, if you use that adapter (until I hard wire it)....where do you place the radar detector???

·
Registered
836 Posts
Search under V1.

There is someone on the board that makes a great bracket, I think his name is Matt.

I bougth it for mine and did put the V1 on top on the interior ligth between the seats. I did then put a remote display in the left side of the dash.

I did hardwire mine to the radio switcjed power.

Worked great and the bracket is well worth the money.

I am not home at the moment if not I could send you a picture.

Mats

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks swede...yea if I could get picks of how it was mounted or where i can get the bracket I'd love to install that way...thanks

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I realize that it all looks cool to mount your V1 in back between the seats. But you really should mount it high on the windshield. The higher up the more coverage you get. It is just that simple.

You want all the advantage you can get.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I made my own bracket that attached to the roll bar area between the seats. I loved it there, because you could place the unit high for better coverage and it was easy to see in my rearview mirror so no need for the remote. It's a position that makes the alarm easy to hear even with the top off and easy to reach the mute button for false alarms. It also allowed me to mount the unit upside down so the arrows were pointing in the correct directions.

I don't have a pic, because the bracket was taken off when the car was being painted. I used the OEM screw holes to mount the bracket.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My display is on the light panel, the volume control is on the center console and the detector is inside the rear behind the passenger seat hanging off the roll bar cover.

High mounting position that conceals the detector and makes volume control very easy.

ken

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just purchased a V-1. I noticed that the plug does not fully "seat" into the cig adapter between the seats. Is this an issue on the road as you drive? My concern is that the V-1 plug will come out of the cig adapter.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just purchased a V-1. I noticed that the plug does not fully "seat" into the cig adapter between the seats. Is this an issue on the road as you drive? My concern is that the V-1 plug will come out of the cig adapter.
I agree...the cig. adapter in the rear just isn't user friendly for the V1...attaching it to the windshield (where it should be for best detection) then you have a long cord going up the middle....

Amarao...thanks for the link for the rear mounting bracket...i think this is the way to go for now...yet, I am concerned about losing rear detection...(that is how I got tagged by the cops last time sneaking up behind me from the rear)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Amarao...thanks for the link for the rear mounting bracket...i think this is the way to go for now...yet, I am concerned about losing rear detection...(that is how I got tagged by the cops last time sneaking up behind me from the rear)
No problem, honestly I have no experience with the bracket or radar detectors in general. I'm of the opinion that they just let you know when you got ****ed. rotfl

·
Registered
459 Posts
The OEM cigarette lighter plug sucks. No plug will stay in there well. I replaced it with this plug, $7 from Radio Shack. That was a HUGE improvement.

RadioShack.com - Power & Batteries: Car power: DC (12V/Car) adapters: 12VDC Car Power Accessory Outlet

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as a follow up, I did order the rear mounting bracket from MattG....and I have to say this is the best solution...rear detection is no problem in the Elise (not sure about an Exige)

V1 works perfectly, and you can see the arrows in the rear view mirror

thanks Matt!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used a modified V 1 visor mounting bracket to mount the V 1 on the rear window. I cut the spring steel visor clip and drilled a hole in it accept the suction cup provided. I also put velcro under the V 1 and on the window ledge to help hold it in place.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Pust some electrical tape around it. Had the same problem. Ended up hard-wiring it.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Thanks, yes, that's why I left the original mats in place, as a breather. Additionally, my car never gets wet, guess I could get condensation though :shrug:
To stay off topic..... You're probably aware, but Lotus (in the manual) suggests not to use after market mats. They need to breathe to prevent corrosion of the aluminum under it.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I realize that it all looks cool to mount your V1 in back between the seats. But you really should mount it high on the windshield. The higher up the more coverage you get. It is just that simple.

You want all the advantage you can get.
Actually, counter-intuitively, you want to mount the detector as LOW on your windshield as you can, not as high as you can. The reason for this is that a laser beam directed at your front license plate or nose (favored aiming location) has about a 3' diameter at 1000 feet (i.e., tight beam with small contact diameter on your car), so a high-mounted radar detector with laser detection capabilities (which most come with now) may not even see the targetting laser. Of course, they've probably got you already, but sometimes cops hit wrong buttons on their guns and you may catch a break with early detection and braking.

Radar tends to scatter, bouncing off anything metallic in its path and sending signals at tangents to the original beam. What you want to be able to do is detect officers working traffic ahead of you with instant-on moving radar, for example. The scatter from these signals will be detected whether your detector is at the top or bottom of your windshield - it makes almost no difference.

Another consideration is that cops don't like radar detectors at all - it's almost like your advertising that your speeding. Mounting it higher on the windshield makes it more visible to them, especially if it's night and they're behind you and can see the LED display through your rear window.

You can really learn a lot about protecting yourself from radar in this book, a lot of conventional wisdom is quite wrong - so it's good to learn from an authoritative source like this:

Amazon.com: Driver's Guide to Police Radar: Craig Peterson: Books

You can also get a lighter plug extension cord, if you need one:

Amazon.com: LIGHTER PLUG EXTENSION CORD -- 10' COILED: Automotive

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts