The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to lunch today somewhat in a hurry. I was approaching a green turn signal and stayed in it to make the turn. In the middle of the turn something popped and the rear of the car shifted. I thought the battery had come lose and slid or rolled to the other end of the car (it didn't). Is this the toe link breaking? It was a serious pop and shift like someone hit me in the rear. If this is a toe link breaking what is the best replacement part? I know sector sells replacement parts but which ones do I need, seeing that they have several things to chose from.

Thanks Jason

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
did you keep driving? You would probably know it if the toe link came loose becasue the wheel would be completly unconstrained in toe.

Any of the toe re-enforcement kits should work for you because they all come with new links. Jack up the car and check the links imideiatly before driving anywhere. It is hard to say what the problem is but if it felt as significant as you describe it probably requires imidiate attention (and should be easy to identify).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stopped at the gas station and looked it over. The wheels are still straight. Maybe wore out motor mounts allowing the exhaust hanger to be broken? I didn't have time to explore during lunch.

I was looking at sectors website and they offer a RTD2Brace is this a full replacement kit? Any other parts needed in addition to it?

I'll post what I find after work.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Does the car now handle any differently? To be precise, does it pull to one side or the other? Does it wander - pull one way now and then the other way another time? Does it pull under breaking? If you can't answer a definite "YES" to any of this, and you experienced a sensation as described, it probably isn't suspension related (ie dramatic symptom and then no lingering behavior). I would check your motor mounts maybe.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
rtd2 would work as would the cheaper dsbrace. All the kits include inboard links which is where the problem usually is.

Sounds like you have something else though, since you didnt spin off the street. Possible motor mounts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I have it on the rack it's not the toe link! The exhaust ripped the bolts out where the hanger attaches to the frame. I guess I'll be ordering the motor mounts.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If your getting new oem mounts be sure to get some poly urethane inserts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Check the write-ups on motor mounts. Race are very stiff with a lot of vibration at low RPMs. Street is more manageable, but still stiff. I suggest a search on this site for the specifics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts