The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to put sport inserts on my Exige. Where do I support the engine? Just beside the Pan? Obviously not the oil pan. Is there a place to avoid or anything that makes it easier?

Is there any tool I need that you couldn't have done it without? (That's not in the instructions?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
It really depends on what mount you are working on at the time. You could put a jack on the bottom of the trans. Use a block of wood as a cushion. You also could support the motor right on the oil pan. Again, Use a block of wood. I have done this 100's of times with no problem. I wouldnt try to lift the car by the pan but a few hundred pound engine isnt going to collapse a steel pan that took 20 tons to stamp out. Good luck

·
Registered
588 Posts
its really going to be preference. As a technician I can think of multiple TSb's and factory service procedures that had you directly support the engine using the oil pan. In fact, chrysler used to have a template for how to cut a 2x4 to be used as a lifting point for timing belt replacement (literally a 16" chunk with a 1 inch notch cut in it). Tranmissions have similar pans and trans lift jacks are supported directly on the pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mine is the aluminum Gpan.
I have a Moroso, so same deal really. I have often supported the engine on it with a block of wood. You wouldn't worry about putting your motor on the ground on the oil pan, so no worries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts