The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am graduating from the University of Delware in May and will be working in PA. After working hard, now I have some money to play. I have been doing research for a couple months and have come up with an elise as what I would probably want. I figured the next step would be to test drive one. Well I drove 3 hours (shouldn't have taken that long, I got lost) to Princeton Porsche where they had a used elise in canyon red (the color I want most). After a couple minutes of talking to the guy I ask for a test drive and they denied me. Im guessing because my age (22) and some other things, I was pretty mad but kinda understand.... I guess.

So my question for you guys is, where can I test drive an elise to see if its what I want before I buy one? Will most places deny me like this or was this a unique situation? Thanks guys

P.S. I forgot, I live in Newark DE, but am from Poconos PA and dont mind traveling a good couple hours for a test drive.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i saw Rothrock but wasnt sure if i took the time to drive down there if i would be denied a test drive also.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
check the dealer section for reviews before you go to Rothrock.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Criswell

It's a bit of a drive for you, but contact Dan at Criswell in Gaithersburg. He will see to it that you experience a Lotus.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wherever you decide to look into purchasing a Lotus (or any other specialty sports car for that matter) may be, you should call ahead to the dealership. Introduce yourself over the phone to the sales manager and explain that you are a serious shopper and would like to arrange a time to allow you to experience the car. Don't be insulted if the salesperson drives the car first. Expect the salesperson to ride with you and treat the car respectfully. I am sure you will find a salesperson and sales manager that will be willing to work with you. Just call ahead. You will be surprised how much nicer they will be when they know the "kid" walking through the door is a real potential customer.

Last week, I was in a local BMW dealership to check out the 135i models. I was dressed in an old t-shirt and cargo shorts. I was topped off in my favorite old Lotus cap with my trusted flip-flops on my feet. I couldn't get a salesperson to give me the time of day, much less show me the car. One salesperson told me he was too busy to help me, as he sat with his legs crossed up on his desk. I walked out of the dealership and started to leave. The salesman noticed that I was climbing into my wife's Mercedes S550 and ran out to apologize to me. Now he suddenly had all the time in the world to help me. I politely told him that I was now too busy, as I was leaving to drive to the other BMW dealership to test drive the 135i.

Remember, the customer has all the power. That holds true whether you are a car salesman or a plastic surgeon. Customers make every payday possible. Just treat your salesman with respect from the beginning and notice how the red carpet rolls out for you.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for your advice. I will follow it before stopping by the next lotus dealership.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
check the dealer section for reviews before you go to Rothrock.
you don't have to buy it or service it there. i had no issues getting a test drive as did a very young looking kid there at the same time. the only issue was they did not have a broken in car so the revs had to be kept under 4500rpm.

fwiw i had my first service done there and quite a bit of stupid warranty work (incl a new dash & headlights) at the same time, they did a great job and kept me in the loop (although they did have it for a week). sales dept needs help though, they tried selling me a vette:eek:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Probably too far for you to go, but I had a great experience at Lotus of Durham (NC). Even though I'm in MD I haven't made it out to Criswell yet, but they were incredibly nice in Durham; they let me drive (a short drive, but that's all I really needed) even though I showed up in an old Miata, am young, and said I wasn't buying today (but would be eventually). It's a bit of a drive even from MD--we were visiting friends-- but I was very impressed with them. They've also been great about following-up with me. They were even very pleasant when I brought my family in the next day to see the cars since they'd never seen one up close before.:clap:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Don’t buy anything from these thieves! They steal from their customers. They will rip you off!
That's the first time I've heard anything BAD about Princeton !!... If you're going to be in the Poconos anyway....HRM is one of the best dealers in the country...and only a couple of hours from Stroudsburg. talk to wallabyguy ( Robert ) !!! http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/member.php?u=333

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
That's the first time I've heard anything BAD about Princeton !!... If you're going to be in the Poconos anyway....HRM is one of the best dealers in the country...and only a couple of hours from Stroudsburg. talk to wallabyguy ( Robert ) !!! http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/member.php?u=333
+1 Princeton is phenomenal, i've never heard a bad word about them and they do all my service. Of course, you can always swing by my place in Allentown, or i can swing up yours for a spirited drive in the Poconos. PM me if you want to meet up.

BTW. stay away from Rothrock, i've never heard of anyone actually having a good experience with them, including myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts