The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a cruise to Skyline... My navigator, husband, was given a set of directions printed from Google Maps. It sent us on an off road excursion on the side of a mountain and once we realized what happened it was too late and we could not turn around. I was not very happy but had to drive through it in order to get my car through. Turning around was not an option because the cuts in the road were worse in the opposite direction. Here are some pictures, but they do not do that road justice in how bad and steep it was.... I will never use Google Maps, it is evil
You can see more pictures here: >X< What A Sunday (whole lotta pix here) >X< - E46Fanatics The guy who took these was pretty nice and you can see some more of the mountain. Also I thought it was cute when he posted How do you like your Lotus? On the rocks :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
the pictures really dont begin to do this justice. Most of the cars we were with turned around. I think only my Evo, an STi, and 2 M3s made it this way (and, obviously, the Lotus - go Lotus!)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Lol...Google maps did something similar to me recently, though fortunately I caught the mistake before embarking on the trip (it was when other people start giving me blank looks when I described the route...). The route it suggested was certainly the shortest mileage, but took me on a road that all websites I found described as a Jeep trail!!! Whatever Google changed in their mapping software, it wasn't a good thing! Glad to see you made it through OK.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol...Google maps did something similar to me recently, though fortunately I caught the mistake before embarking on the trip (it was when other people start giving me blank looks when I described the route...). The route it suggested was certainly the shortest mileage, but took me on a road that all websites I found described as a Jeep trail!!! Whatever Google changed in their mapping software, it wasn't a good thing! Glad to see you made it through OK.
Hmmm I am so tempted to find out who to email about this. One of the cars had the suspension so damaged it was leaking and now sags on the driver side. I cannot beleive how horrible it was and the cars that were able to turn around were higher than mine, even the Aston Martin is higher... There was no way I could turn around and go back, at one point I could have sworn I lost my splitter but it was still there.

I am so glad that you were able to catch it before you actually went on the road they gave you. I do not recommend a drive like this to anyone! Unless you have an Evo or STI

·
Registered
821 Posts
Reverse is made for instances like this.

I'd kill to find a good offroad trail....not for my lotus though :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey I recognize that car! Say hi to Dustin from me.
Will do :) does he know you by the forum name?

Hey, you made through alive and unscathed, so I'd say you had an excellent adventure.:nanner:
Once it was all done and I made it down those steps, it was pretty fun to think wow I just did that and if other Lotus owners knew they might sacrifice me! lol

Reverse is made for instances like this.

I'd kill to find a good offroad trail....not for my lotus though :D
That is what I wanted to do, but was too scared do to the huge incline and I gave into peer pressure to try and was promised the trail only got better after...

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
And I thought I took my "Lunch and Cruise" groups on rough roads....sheesh! :eek:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Where in the hell did you go???? lol

btw i know some of those guys in the pictures :up: i will def make fun of them for this, thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I thought I took my "Lunch and Cruise" groups on rough roads....sheesh! :eek:
haha, now you can say "if you think you have it bad, I know this place in VA..."

Where in the hell did you go???? lol

btw i know some of those guys in the pictures :up: i will def make fun of them for this, thanks.
We were going to Skyline Drive. Dustin put the directions in for Tysons Corner Center to Lee Hwy/US-211 and it told us to take this road called Mountjoy. It should be called Mountdontcomehere

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
At least you have some sort of all-season tires on the car...

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Yikes...

Google streetview works for most of the roads around here. I almost always check that before setting out on a new road (and I'll take the BMW for the first time).

What did the satellite imagery look like?

·
Registered
135 Posts
As sketchy as that was for you it did make for some nice pics. I think those are the first pics Ive seen of a lotus off pavement.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
sadly we didnt know the route until we all met up at Starbucks - so we did not get a chance to check it on google maps for sanity. it was just handed to us lol

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
We were going to Skyline Drive. Dustin put the directions in for Tysons Corner Center to Lee Hwy/US-211 and it told us to take this road called Mountjoy. It should be called Mountdontcomehere
hahahaha, the real question is why would you go for a "spirited drive" in VA anyway????????? Stick to MD where the cops are nicer :p

Nice off-roading pictures though :up:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Its not just Google that gives bad maps. My friend used Windows Live to get a map that took us on a trail where his Gran Prix got stuck. It was only fit for goats or a 4x4 with a lift kit. He swears that road killed his steering rack. I would expect that from Microsoft, but not Google.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
your car blends in with the background. camo exige. rotfl

1 - 20 of 26 Posts