The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just because i am now completely obsessed with this car and need a new piece of information every day, where is reverse located on this tranny and is there some sort of reverse lock?

On my S2000 it is bottom right and the shifter has to be pressed down to get to it. This took me about 10 very embarrasing minutes in a parking lot to figure out the first day i got the car. I actually prefer the top left position that the germans usually use.

-Steve

·
Registered
963 Posts
offroadr35 said:
just because i am now completely obsessed with this car and need a new piece of information every day, where is reverse located on this tranny and is there some sort of reverse lock?

On my S2000 it is bottom right and the shifter has to be pressed down to get to it. This took me about 10 very embarrasing minutes in a parking lot to figure out the first day i got the car. I actually prefer the top left position that the germans usually use.

-Steve
You pull up on a part of the shifter on the base of the shift knob, push to the left and up. Same as the Esprit.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Yes, that funny looking collar peice that seems out of place just below the knob is what you use to pull up on the stick before you throw it in reverse.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Reverse Lock-Outs

Early Corvettes - starting with the 57, I believe, had the first of these devices. Like the later Ford shifters, they were "T" style rather than the full shaft surround that the Elise features:D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I test drove the new V6 Cougar when they first came out (I was thinking budget sporty car ala the MX-3 V6). It was a piece of trash, but my biggest memory of the drive was sitting in a parking lot a couple of miles from the dealership trying to figure out how to get it into reverse so that I could pull out of a spot I'd pulled into to look the car over. It had the same type of collar locking out reverse. My TDI Jetta has a shift lever that you have to push down before you can get it into reverse. My Miata just required a very deliberate push to the side before going down into reverse. That was my favorite. I don't really see the need for the lockout.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
NMRJock said:
My TDI Jetta has a shift lever that you have to push down before you can get it into reverse. My Miata just required a very deliberate push to the side before going down into reverse. That was my favorite. I don't really see the need for the lockout.
You have to pull up on the shift lever of my '72 Elan to get into reverse, but I think I like the lockout - especially on the six-speed... Besides, it's probably required by some federal regulation or something...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
TimMullen said:
You have to pull up on the shift lever of my '72 Elan to get into reverse, but I think I like the lockout - especially on the six-speed... Besides, it's probably required by some federal regulation or something...
It would have to be a pretty recent regulation, my (6 spd) Miata was an '02. By buddy's 6spd C5 also had no lockout. I never had a problem with running into reverse unintentionally in my Miata.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
TimMullen said:
Besides, it's probably required by some federal regulation or something...
I guess I forgot the: ;)

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
When driving the '67' Pontiac GTO, '1st' and 'Reverse' were set up so close to each other that you could accidently hit the wrong gear from take-off. They could have used the 'collar'.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
When I got my S2000, I was sitting in the parking lot for about 15 minutes feeling really stupid that I couldn't figure out reverse. Finally, I had to go back into the dealership, where I was told that you have to push the knob down (z-axis), then right and up (y-axis). It was embarassing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts