The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the tachometer have a red line? I mean like how are we supposed to know when to shift if theres no red line? just kiddin about that, but I have yet to see a red line in any pictures.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,061 Posts
gerry k said:
Does the tachometer have a red line? I mean like how are we supposed to know when to shift if theres no red line? just kiddin about that, but I have yet to see a red line in any pictures.
8350 rpm redline
8500 rpm fuel cutoff

But I DO like the fact that they didn't declare a redline on the tachometer per se. This allows them (or someone) in the future to remap the ECU (and cams and valvetrain) to bump it up to say... 9500 rpm ;)

That would increase the maximum mph speed in gears 1 through 6 from (44, 69, 96, 122, 156, 198) to (50, 77, 107, 137, 175, 222). For a modest hp increase you could conceivably stay in 3rd gear running through the 1320' traps @ 107 mph...

Edit Note: I didn't originally display 6 gears since top speed is achieved in 5th gear... but I guess if you increase the hp...

My old delSol ran to 9700 rpm effortlessly, and once ran up to 11,300 rpm for a couple of seconds. Very stiff valve springs and titanium retainers were a necessity. Whether or not power is made up there is another matter altogether...

Supposedly the 2ZZGE bottom end is good to 11,000 rpm safely - the weakest link are the cams (for power generation) and valve springs / retainers for safety.

Just my $0.02 again... God I can't wait for this car. :crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
At what RPM does valve interference occur? (From a misshift, obviously... I know it has a rev-limiter.)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Don't quote me on this but, I'm pretty sure that lotus was still tinkering with which tach to put in. One tach that someone else on this forum posted earlier showed the first few numbers being bunched together. As you got higher up in the rev range the numbers were progressively spaced further apart. This was done to make it easier to see where you were on the tach at the higher rev range. I believe the pic of that tach had a redline.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts