The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Not much about 2bular is known in Australia so I thought I’d ask you knowledgeable folk. I have a 2004 rover k-series elise, 120hp, soon to be 160hp (motor swap happening), n/a, std headers, induction etc. Just want to change the exhaust/muffler to get a more raspy/banshee/F360 sound. Kreissieg do a really nice one that ticks all the right boxes, except it’s over US$4,000 -eek- So after a lot of research 2bular looks like the next best thing.

Apart from raspy, I want something that is relatively quiet at freeway speeds and under 3500 so you can still hold a conversation. It shouldn’t drone or require earplugs, but when you go WOT it should really howl and scream. Some bangs and pops on over run would be nice too :D. As it’s only a weekend car and most trips are relatively short, it doesn’t have to be too quiet. And we don’t (yet) have noise restrictions on our track days so being bludy loud coming down the straight is not yet a problem.

The larini ones I’ve heard are too loud, the 2bular 8x24 is too soft (at least on youtube) so I’m thinking about 7x24, or something with a smaller length (anyone got one for sale?). What do you guys think? As I understand it, the longer and thicker the exhaust, the quieter it is. But what makes it more banshee, as opposed to the deeper growl of a larini?

Btw I’ve sent an email (or 2) to Jim at 2bular but am yet to hear back. I’m sure mine are two of hundreds. If I could get some kind of concensus for you guys, it may speed up the process rather than going back and forward between Jim and myself half a dozen times.

Cheers
Shane

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well what do you know, Jim got back to me pretty quick. I'm leaning to getting a 6x18" with a half-core pipe whatever that is. I only really ever attend private track days which has no noise monitoring so being loud at WOT isn't a problem.

My concern though is will it be too loud for normal driving and highway use?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi all

Not much about 2bular is known in Australia so I thought I’d ask you knowledgeable folk. I have a 2004 rover k-series elise, 120hp, soon to be 160hp (motor swap happening), n/a, std headers, induction etc.
Shane you should probably consider a 4:2:1 at some point. Not for sound but the help release the full HP.
EliseParts has a couple, and you probably want the smaller diameter one.
The slip jointed one is supposedly easier to install. See the "Decided to go rover" thread on AE.

You will also need the mount that reduces the engine rocking or to get a good flex joint in there.
(I would suggest both)
Without that, the header will be trying to hold the engine from rocking... with cracked header or ovalized slip joints over time.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts
Well what do you know, Jim got back to me pretty quick. I'm leaning to getting a 6x18" with a half-core pipe whatever that is. I only really ever attend private track days which has no noise monitoring so being loud at WOT isn't a problem.

I just installed a 6x18! It sounds awesome, but it is loud... I'm fine with it on the highway too. I'm hoping this weekend I can get my friend to help record the sound, but no guarantees.

·
Banned
404 Posts
Pretty much overwhelmed with the e-mails as usual Shane - I've got an Exige owner and an Elise S owner in Perth running 2bulars recently. The 1zz-fe Elise S owners back East seem to be the people for ordering the whole exhaust.
I've kinda worked my back through the Lotus catalogue! So only just recently brought out our new 4-2-1 header/manifold for the K-series.

Stepped design, with bores/lengths for optimum performance - all the info here:

K-series 4-2-1 Manifold + Flexy De-Cat Pipe

You say you want a Ferrari-type scream ....................... umm, not from a 1.8ltr 4 cyl ...........but a 4-2-1 + de-cat + 6"dia system will get as close to a scream as you can!

·
Registered
224 Posts

I have an 8" 2bular - it is not much louder than stock around town but has a much deeper tone. It screams on the 2nd cam - that is screaming in a good way, it doesn't need ear plugs! From the way you started this thread, the 8" sounds like the one you are looking for.

BTW: Although my sig says I have the 8x24, you need the 8x22 if you have the stock cat. I needed to modify mine to get it to fit.

This is a video of autoX with the 2bular 8":

·
Registered
644 Posts
I love my 8X24 GT3 exhaust. It is not too loud but sounds great with no drone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts