The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy an Elise as a fun car for track use. Till now i've been driving Audi TT - i got some experience in driving on track and now my TT is not enough any more ;)

I was thinking about Ariel Atom or Lotus Elise. Finally i've chosen an Elise and I want to make it really fast track car :) So i'm planning to make a SWAP to Honda K20/K23 and make other mods to increase the power (including a supercharger and a turbo). And here I would like to ask you for some advice.

Having in mind a SWAP and other mods, is there a difference which year Elise (S2) I will choose? For example, does it matter for the SWAP whether there is a Rover K-Series I4 or Toyota 1ZR/1ZZ/2ZZ engine? Are there any other important changes in the Elise starting from the year 2002 till 2010?

I’m aware that many parts will be changed from an original and I would like to make the purchase as economic as possible, saving money for mods that won’t be cheap :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
This seems premature... maybe the Elise isn't the right car for you if your first instinct is to change everything :p. My thoughts, if money is a concern the Atom would be a cheaper track toy after the mods you want to do. That thing is a dedicated lightning bolt too. I've never seen swaped Elise vs Atom on the track, but I'd be VERY surprised if the Elise wins. If money is no option, get an Atom 500... I love my car, but those things are monsters!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This seems premature... maybe the Elise isn't the right car for you if your first instinct is to change everything :p. My thoughts, if money is a concern the Atom would be a cheaper track toy after the mods you want to do. That thing is a dedicated lightning bolt too. I've never seen swaped Elise vs Atom on the track, but I'd be VERY surprised if the Elise wins. If money is no option, get an Atom 500... I love my car, but those things are monsters!
I've driven Elise 192hp and Atom 300hp on track and i know, that 200hp is not enough. Ariel was great, but i need some body and roof in my car, because the weather in Poland is not so good. So i've chosen Elise. There is not so much experience in modyfying Toyotas engines, so Honda k20/23 seems to be very good choice for the future.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 2002-2005 cars have a cable throttle (these cars have the extruded pedal sets). THis may make things a bit easier when doing a swap to another motor with a cable actuated throttle body.

2006+ cars have an electronic throttle pedal. It is a GM-sourced part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2002-2005 cars have a cable throttle (these cars have the extruded pedal sets). THis may make things a bit easier when doing a swap to another motor with a cable actuated throttle body.

2006+ cars have an electronic throttle pedal. It is a GM-sourced part.
Tnx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts