The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there are far more pressing problems, but I am quite torn about which interior color to get for a new Elise SC I am picking up soon.

The dealer is allowing me to choose between a red or black interior. The car is a new '09 (yes, that's right). Exterior color is Phantom Black.

I intend to keep the car for a long time (~20+ years).

I am interested in getting your thoughts on:
- which is aesthetically better
- which will have a higher resale (if I do need to sell)
- durability / longevity

Apparently the red driver's seat shows some discoloration near the seat-belt. The red interior was on another car that was driven 1,000 miles. The black interior is brand new.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
You will end up swapping seats for the Exige Lotus sport seats anyways. If you hang out here you will see people swapping interiors or selling them outright. Your jeans or belt buckle will rub whatever color you have, it's no use getting worked up about it.

Personally I'd go for the red in a starlight black car. I've also seen that color with a tan (biscuit) interior, and it looks great.

FWIW, changing the interior color is a matter of 4 bolts on each seat, a few to take off the seatbelt, and maybe 10 minutes a side to swap out the teardrop panels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Red. I had a Corvette with that color combo and it got far more attention than it had any right to because the red stood out and was relatively unusual.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
What color is the exterior? Is that white or Storm Ti?

Either way, red would look better with both. It really is red AND Black as there a lot of black bits. Red adds nice contrast.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Get the red and then add some more interior bits like leather side pockets, aluminum carpet buttons and such.
I had mine for 6 1/2 Years and still love it...

CIMG3229.jpg

The red center console in your picture looks a little too bold for my taste.
I think I would prefer the black console together with the red seats

·
Registered
389 Posts
Red looks better. Also nicer in the hot sun.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
One of the rarest color combinations for the Esprit is black exterior ~ red interior. My car is an '87 and they only made two that year which I found out when Frank from Sportscar World posted the build information for all Esprits.

If the car is black red would be a good choice. Plus as mentioned it's cooler in the summer vs. black.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Personally I can't stand a red interior.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I've also seen that color with a tan (biscuit) interior, and it looks great.
And Biscuit won't burn your buns after sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
when i look into other car and see a black interior the first thing that pops into my head, is wow, that is one painfully boring interior... not just understated, outright bland and boring, zero contrast... nothing to grab your attention. If you're truly apprehensive about the attention the car may get, go black. Otherwise get the red.

That said, I don't like black on the cars for the same reason i don't like black interiors though... it just washes out the lines of what ever. Plus on both interiors and exteriors, i think all black ends up clashing with itself. Gloss black paint clashing with matte black plastic on the outside, and gloss black paint on the top of the doors clashes with flat black leather.... now if it were patent leather i might not mind it so bad, but patent leather in a car sound horrifying from a real use perspective...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts