The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an inventory software which is easy to be used without any prior knowledge of software programing. Certain features I need this software to tell me are: where the goods are, quantity of goods, rate and volume goods are sold and to whom the goods are sold. Other perks would be the ability to factor in the material cost of goods with the cost of labor, the cost of transportation, and individual profit margins for accounts. Then with that information factor in expected price increases in goods, labor, transportation or profit and tell me how much of which good I should order.

This is all pretty basic stuff from what I've seen but I've yet to see all of these features presented in an easy to understand and apply template.

Now, in my field of business there are two dominate software developers. The cost of the better ones "Master Package" is ~$10k for the software plus another $2-5k for web cam/ on-site lessons on how to properly use the software and the equipment that the software comes with. This software does MUCH more than I listed as the basic features I currently need. An eventual goal would be to incorporate all of this softwares features into my business but that goal may be to ambitious presently.

So for now I need the software that can give me the basic features I outlined in an easy to understand method. I ask those of you more experienced in inventory software programs whether I should stick to one software (being the "Master Package" software) or should I add the software as my business goes along (meaning, buy the basic software for now and upgrade later)?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I don't have recommendations as far as Inventory Software goes, however I can give you some insight as far as business software is concerned.
We purchased a fairly substantial software system from a reputable company (which we tested fairly well beforehand) and for the most part it met our needs. However, the small details where it didn't meet our needs became burdensome and made us resent buying the software in the first place. We were not able to modify the program, which in the end made us move away from it.
Long story short, if someone can tailor a package to your needs instead of generic needs, you'll be much happier with the product in the long run. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
best software = no software

I suggest you consider a lean philosophy instead. This will eliminate most of your inventory, so you won't feel any need to track it by computer. A little visual management and a good replenishment system with your suppliers, and you'll be all set.

If you're not familiar with this approach, I recommend "Lean Thinking" as a good introductory book.

--Joe

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have recommendations as far as Inventory Software goes, however I can give you some insight as far as business software is concerned.
We purchased a fairly substantial software system from a reputable company (which we tested fairly well beforehand) and for the most part it met our needs. However, the small details where it didn't meet our needs became burdensome and made us resent buying the software in the first place. We were not able to modify the program, which in the end made us move away from it.
Long story short, if someone can tailor a package to your needs instead of generic needs, you'll be much happier with the product in the long run. Good luck.
Excellent, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Checkout Microsoft Dynamics GP. A good inventory system should integrate seemlessly with Purchase and Sales Order Processing. More nice features - customizable, expandable with advanced modules to allow for complex demand planning, price levels and fullfilment processes. Dynamics GP also integrates with Microsoft Office, namely Excel and Word. I sell this software so perhaps I'm biased. Seriously, it's a nice system. :)

Mr. Know offers good advice, be sure the system you select is customizable. A good system should meet around 95% or more of your needs out of the box and the remaining features can be added with a bit of programming.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suggest you consider a lean philosophy instead. This will eliminate most of your inventory, so you won't feel any need to track it by computer. A little visual management and a good replenishment system with your suppliers, and you'll be all set.

If you're not familiar with this approach, I recommend "Lean Thinking" as a good introductory book.

--Joe
One of my all time favorite business books, "Customers for Life", stresses this type of inventory management. I'm going to read "Lean Thinking" as well as Taiichi Ohno's book on Toyota's production system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checkout Microsoft Dynamics GP. A good inventory system should integrate seemlessly with Purchase and Sales Order Processing. More nice features - customizable, expandable with advanced modules to allow for complex demand planning, price levels and fullfilment processes. Dynamics GP also integrates with Microsoft Office, namely Excel and Word. I sell this software so perhaps I'm biased. Seriously, it's a nice system. :)

Mr. Know offers good advice, be sure the system you select is customizable. A good system should meet around 95% or more of your needs out of the box and the remaining features can be added with a bit of programming.
Will look into it, Thanks!

·
Registered
975 Posts

--Joe
thanks joe, very helpful!

·
Registered
112 Posts

I used Great Plains/Dynamics for the last 15 years. Excellent modules for inventory management, BOM, SOP, Purchasing, Cash Management and FRx financial reporting. Crystal Reports used to be bundled with Dynamics but I'm not sure if it is currently included since Business Objects purchased Crystal Reports. Crystal Reports is great for ODBC extraction custom reporting. Great solid system.

·
Registered
392 Posts

I used Great Plains/Dynamics for the last 15 years. Excellent modules for inventory management, BOM, SOP, Purchasing, Cash Management and FRx financial reporting. Crystal Reports used to be bundled with Dynamics but I'm not sure if it is currently included since Business Objects purchased Crystal Reports. Crystal Reports is great for ODBC extraction custom reporting. Great solid system.
Dynamics is very good, but by the time all is said and done, you better have a 6 figure budget or close to it. A cheaper alternative is Passport Software. It may not have quite as many bells and whistles, but it's often a good fit for small to medium size businesses. An ODBC interface is available allowing programs like Crystal Reports or Microsoft Access to use the data to generate custom reports. Customization is available, although the cost of customization is similar to what customization of Dynamics costs.

The software would probably be between $8k and $12k depending on the need for the manufacturing part and the number of users. And you're probably looking at a few thousand more for installation and training. I sell and support Passport software, so I am biased, but I think they're about the best in their price range for a standard package. Their website is Passport Software, Inc. - Home of Passport Business Solutions™ where you can download a demo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts