The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which is better ~ a lotus elise with or without rear spoiler.

I hope you can help me decide, because im having second thoughts if i should purchase one or just leave it as is. I also want to know your own opinion as a lotus elise owner.

If yes, please give me any brand suggestions/photos?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have the ducktail spoiler added onto the SC Models (2011). It's OK, looks nearly the same without it. I say leave the clean lines of it alone.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Virtually all of the wings I've seen on Elise's look like ricer silliness, IMHO. Unless you NEED one for actual downforce on the track, the wings detract from the appearance of the car. Too Hot Wheelish. The 2010 Exige wing looks the best, but then again it was deliberately designed to flow with the lines of the car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Elise: without.

Exige: with.

I think the shape of the back half of the car dictates that deviating from this makes it hard for the car to look good. There might be a rare exception, but...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Without. Unless you need the downforce, and unless you're really tracking you don't, keep the clean lines. The SC spoiler IMHO is pure cosmetics anyways, it just mimics the upward sweep of the tail. The rest of it on a street car makes you look like a poser. Again, IMHO.
(Keep in mind I'm a middle-aged guy; my 17 yo son would surely disagree).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Im was looking at the Lotus OEM sc spoiler before and find it nice. But realized that I dont want it anymore, because I have N/A engine only and dont want to be labelled as a "poser".

I go to racetracks and join fun run sometimes but usually city driving only. We saw one with ScElise Motorsport rear spoiler and my cousin told me it makes the car a bit bigger. Thats why i was thinking of putting one, but having second thoughts because i also love the no spoiler look. Trying to search the net, but no luck finding the right one for my taste yet. Thanks for your honest comments.. But for me with or without the elise still looks great.. :)

Btw the side skirts makes the elise look bigger too.. But its hard to find one because there are limited aftermarket manufacturers for our car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really like the looks of the Gut Sport wing from Sector 111. IMO, it looks like Lotus did it. It's well made too. I dont care for the look of the step ladder type wings, too tunerish. Also, I'm still debating whether I want that much downforce...

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
For the elise, I think the sc wing on a 2" spacer would look best... But I haven't seen this done.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
155 Posts
Exige spoiler on Elise

I have a black Exige spoiler on my Elise. It blocks visibility out of the rear window, but it also blocks the glaring headlights from SUV's/trucks behind me, so that's a fair trade-off. I'm pretty satisfied with the spoiler, it's not too big/heavy, and adds to the elegance of the Elise. I don't track my car, so as far as aerodynamics are concerned, I can't comment about that.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Virtually all of the wings I've seen on Elise's look like ricer silliness, IMHO. Unless you NEED one for actual downforce on the track, the wings detract from the appearance of the car. Too Hot Wheelish. The 2010 Exige wing looks the best, but then again it was deliberately designed to flow with the lines of the car.
+1 ....Everytime I see an oversized spoiler on an Elise I think of the picture of the guy that put a park bench on his car as a spoiler.....

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a black Exige spoiler on my Elise. It blocks visibility out of the rear window, but it also blocks the glaring headlights from SUV's/trucks behind me, so that's a fair trade-off. I'm pretty satisfied with the spoiler, it's not too big/heavy, and adds to the elegance of the Elise. I don't track my car, so as far as aerodynamics are concerned, I can't comment about that.
Post a pic of that! I'd very much like to see that.

I LOVE my late model Exige spoiler (tho I do also have APR splitter, canards and BOE diffuser, so I think that helps balance things visually.)...

... I feel it matches / compliments the lines of the rear of the Elise like it was made for it...

It really ups the nine year old dream car factor. It also adds visual length (in a similar way stripes add visual width to the car).

'Sides, why should Exiges have all the fun?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Check out the gut spoiler kit. I believe the rear one is easy to install remove and it looks good.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I also have thought of adding a wing - but since I havn't tracked the car at least as of yet , so drive it as a DD driver it would only serve as appearance change & the more I look at the car & it's lines and such , I've come to the conclusion it's best left alone for the time being-now saying all that , it does give it a more imposing appearance & maybe I'll change my mind ' but for now I'm very happy with it the way it is

1 - 20 of 40 Posts