1987 Esprit Turbo, built by Michael Rodrigues.
400HP, ZF5 DS25-2 (BMW M1) transaxle, outboard brakes, large turbo, EFI, H&K ECU,etc,etc.
Car has been TOTALLY & RADICALLY customized.
Over $100,000 spent on parts and development.
Car looks "stock", but appearance may be very misleading.
MIKE’S MODS LIST
• Fender flares changed from concave to convex to gain 1” of additional clearance, body seam and molding removed from flares
• Front inner fender wells modified for greater clearance
• Carbon fiber deck lid
• Hood ducted for radiator exit air
• SE ducting (inlet and side exits) incorporated into spoiler
• Side marker lights removed and holes filled
• All duct screens replicated in SS; screens added to holes beneath lower bumper
• Bumpers shortened 21/4” and 2”, F/R
• Fuel fillers replaced with Newton aircraft fillers
• Side scoops feeding engine compartment extended 1”
• “B” pillar, quarter window and headlight ABS trim replaced with carbon fiber
• Carbon fiber under tray
• Hand lay up radiator ducting and under panels to accommodate relocated radiator
• Battery relocated from rear boot to front. Optima battery in fabricated alloy box
• German wool loop carpeting in front and rear trunk areas
• Painted engine components powder coated.
• Rivnuts replaced with nutplates wherever possible
• Larger SS striker pins to better secure composite roof
• Custom trunk floor – stiffened and modified; coil / relay box eliminated
• Cardboard glove box re-fabricated in aluminum and lined in leather
• Front tow hook
• Roof and door seals replaced
• Cylinder head short ported, manifolds and plenum back plate matched
• 1" plenum spacer, diffuser opened 6mm and radii added
• Full QED Valvetrain - lightweight steel tappets, springs, Sport 300, 1mm over size intake valves, billet QED420 intake cam
• 104o cam wheels; QED adjustable pulleys as well
• Ceramic coated piston crowns, dry film coated skirts
• Thin wall, lightweight wristpins (- 45g/pin)
• Crower Ti I-beam rods (535g ea.)
• QED nitrated forged steel crank, knife-edged c/wts, lightened and balanced
• Main bearing girdle machined, windage tray perforated and 4130 oil scrapers fabricated to skim oil off crank and redirect it to sides of sump to minimize windage losses
• S4 Deep oil sump
• Fabricated mousetrap doors in sump
• Oil pump housing lapped(reduce clearance to rotor by 0.001" to increase oil flow)
• TiAL 40mm wastegate and 50mm BOV
• Fabricated 321 SS wastegate discharge adapter
• Lotus throttle bodies modified to incorporate ball bearings and oil seals
• Vacuum pump & A/C eliminated
• 14.5V Denso racing alternator, relocated and driven off single belt with water pump via S3 2 row crank pulley
• Remote oil filter, Pre-Luber, and twin 12” oil coolers; oil lines braided stainless
• OEM steel flywheel machined to trigger crank sensor
• Bosch 59 lb/hr injectors (measured at 3bar)
• SX Adjustable fuel pressure regulator set at 4.5 bar (flow increases to 72lb/hr ≈ 760cc/min)
• MoTec M4Pro ECU with Advanced tuning
• Motec PLM wide band controller w/ NTK U-EGO 5-wire O2 sensor
• Cylinders CC'd, block smoothed, complete engine balance and blueprint
• Tilton Superstarter
• GT3071R turbo w/ Jet Hot 2000 coated turbine housing
• Custom fabricated “S” compressor discharge
• S4 airbox
• Pipercross foam panel filter element
• Crankcase breather tank
• Extrude honed and Jet Hot 2000 coated exhaust manifold
• Safety wired engine mounting bolts
• Fabricated tubular intake manifold stay/brace
• J&S Safeguard knock control system w/ Bosch flat response knock sensor
• Aquamist 2C water injection system fed by VDO booster pump from w/ Vortech 9qt reservoir mounted in original battery location
• Race quality throttle cable with swaged ends, threaded removable segment @ throttle body
• All external engine hardware nickel plated
• New RBT (ZF) DS25/2 5 spd with 40% LSD, ratios to order.
• 240mm AP Racing tuning clutch rated at 514 ft-lbs.
• Custom cable shift conversion.
• Modified Saab 900 hydraulic release bearing fitted to custom machined gearbox front oil seal retainer.
• Braided SS clutch line
• GKN Motorsport gun-drilled half shafts; lightened/honed CV joints w/ aero boots
• Bespoke bellhousing
• 3” dia SS 304. Starter cat eliminated, OEM main cat replaced by Random Technologies 300 cell Metal Matrix Race Cat
• Rubber suspension bushings (incl. radius arms) replaced with NMB SS/Teflon aircraft spherical bearings/joints. All rod ends protected by boots, spherical bearings by Seal-it seals.
• Suspension hardware entirely replaced by AN fasteners
• Urethane sway bar bushings
• Front and rear suspension fully adjustable, Front upper A-arms modified for tire clearance and reinforced.
• Koni 3012 double adjustable alloy dampers
• Eibach 2½” springs
• A-arms, upper and lower links nickel plated
• Steering rack mounted in alloy pillow blocks, plastic bushing replaced with bronze, rack repacked in Redline synthetic grease, pinion preload re-shimmed
• Tilton balance bar – power brake servo eliminated
• AP racing master cylinders F&R
• 330mm x 28mm drilled, directionally vented rotors on alloy hats – F&R
• AP Racing radial mount 6 pot front and 4 pot rear calipers
• Ferodo DS2500 pads
• Braided stainless lines
• OMP brake and clutch pedals; fabricated aluminum throttle pedal
• Hydraulic parking brake valve
Wheels and Tires
• Center lock hub conversion. Custom 3 piece wheels: forged, shot peened and hard anodized centers w/ polished outers. 17 x 8.5” front and 17 x 11” rear.
• Nitto NT01 tires 235/40-17 F and 315/P35-17 R.
Radiator flipped and relocated 7” rearward and upward; automatic air bleed line added
• Wizard alloy radiator 2.25” core, 3” tanks
• Exit air ducted through bonnet
• Lucas fans replaced with 8 blade pancake fans
• “Otter” switch replaced by VW 2 pole fan switch, 80C
• Single Setrab oil cooler replaced by twin 12” Earls coolers relocated to spoiler side ducts
Bell Intercooler custom chargecooler with three electric pumps (WC Engineering /Johnson Marine)
• Ron Davis Racing Radiators dual pass chargecooler heat exchanger w/ automatic air bleed
• Alloy cooling and chargecooler header tanks, black anodized
• SE coolant overflow bottle
• Heater core eliminated; heater/demister needs satisfied by redirection of radiator exit air
• Separate ducting added for cabin ventilation
• Double layers of foil/ceramic thermal insulation added to all factory heat shields
• SS heat shield for wastegate discharge (protects left inner CV joint)
• Wastegate adapter wrapped in turbo wrap; header wrap on downpipe and wastegate discharge
• Turbo blanket
• Factory heat shields repaired/reinforced with carbon fiber
Interior / Instrumentation
• Custom instrument pod, center console arm rest and revised dash
• VDO Vision back lit instruments w/ blue LED illumination
• A/C and sound systems deleted
• Electric servo controls for heater box / ventilation
• Speaker holes blanked off
• Motorized aerial replaced with light weight standard antenna
• New Sound deadening
• Interior carpeting replaced with Wilton wool
• Incandescent bulbs replaced with LED’s where possible
• Glove box remade in aluminum lined in lambskin
• “Knee vents” eliminated, water and fuel gauges relocated to center console
• Carbon fiber trim for I/P panel, center console, glove box door, door pull trim rings
• S2000 starter button (console mounted)
• S2000 hazard switch
• Sector 111 shift knob
• Alloy gear surround
• Alloy heater knobs
• Sparco Carbon seats upholstered in leather/Alcântara.
• Sparco “Ring” steering wheel in suede
• Interior appearance updated and re-trimmed in blue and black leather.
• Trunk carpets replaced with German wool loop carpet