The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jus twondering what current K&N air filter fits the SE model 4 cyl cars? Ive run into some confusion....

first is this pic from the turboesprit group:

with a caption that reads: "33-2784 is the correct K&N which will should fit all 4 cyl Esprits from 1974 - on"
I know the bottom one (33-2011) is only for the 1988 and older carbed models since it says so on K&Ns Site:
K&N 33-2011 - Performance Filters, Replacement Air Filter

but then i found this page: Buy Lotus Esprit and Elise parts Online from Esprit Engineering that has model 33-2854 listed as their "K&N performance air filter for all 4 cyl cars"... but when you type that number into K&Ns search engine it comes up with a different filter altogether: K&N 33-2854 - Performance Filters, Replacement Air Filter

soooo... what is the correct one I should be using?

thanks!
Jamie

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You are nuts to run a K&N filter on anything IMO. I have bought many vehicles with them and nothing but dust/grit getting into the intake and horrible silicon levels in teh oil analysis... which all went away with a regular filter.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You are nuts to run a K&N filter on anything IMO. I have bought many vehicles with them and nothing but dust/grit getting into the intake and horrible silicon levels in teh oil analysis... which all went away with a regular filter.
I've never had high silicone issues with my Blackstone oil analyses, and I've alwasy sued K&N filters on various cars. I've tried the "dry" style perfromance filters and wasn't impressed much.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Shade: Air filters are a bit of a religious subject, along with brands of oil. Racers use K&N style filters of various brands, so they must be good, right? Those filters do flow more air and can make more power, but they do at the expense of less filtration. That's ok on a racing engine which doesn't get many miles between rebuilds. Even many third party paper filters (Fram, etc) often don't have the filtration of an OEM filter. I'd suggest staying with OEM, or at least paper, and look for performance increases elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I won't argue that on a full blown racing engine I wouldn't care so much, trade some filtration for better flow, but I wouldn't consider my car in that category.

I've got nothing against K&N as a company, but just bad experiences with the filters...

I ran one in my Jeep for a while because the paper ones would get wet (from water/mud splashing into the airbox). A week at Moab, Utah left the intake manifold with a coating of sand (it stuck to the traces of oil in there) I don't mean fine dust, but actual grains of sand -eek-

Have had a K&N on 3 different diesel trucks (something the previous owners had put on) and they all would leave the inside of the intake tubing dusty when inspected. That dusting went away after putting in regular paper filter. They are trucks I expect to last 500,000+ miles so I wasn't going to risk it!

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Shade: Air filters are a bit of a religious subject, along with brands of oil. Racers use K&N style filters of various brands, so they must be good, right? Those filters do flow more air and can make more power, but they do at the expense of less filtration. That's ok on a racing engine which doesn't get many miles between rebuilds. Even many third party paper filters (Fram, etc) often don't have the filtration of an OEM filter. I'd suggest staying with OEM, or at least paper, and look for performance increases elsewhere.
Yep, a religious subject, but dirt is always the devil. What allows a filter to pass more air makes it pass more dirt. Also, have A/B tests between a stock filter and any of the supposedly higher CFM filters been done? I've read just one about ten years ago in a hot rod mag (sorry, don't remember which one). Those guys reported that only at the limit (redline) was there a measurable difference in horsepower (which they reported as 1) with the K&N. Considering what manufacturers and the aftermarket spend on developing cams, heads, manifolds, exhaust systems, slicker oil, etc. to gain even a few hp, the likelihood of achieveing that just by replacing a filter seems doubtful at best.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Proper filters have a lot to do with what the car is used for and where it is driven.
There are places where there is more and less dust, and also "dust" can be composed of soft organic compounds or hard minerals.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Proper filters have a lot to do with what the car is used for and where it is driven.
There are places where there is more and less dust, and also "dust" can be composed of soft organic compounds or hard minerals.
Yes, but the filter a manufacturer recommends should deal with all forms of "dirt" you are likerly to drive through. The mfg's manual will say how often you have to change that filter depends on your conditions. A K&N however from the day of install will let more "dirt" through.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The middle one is the exact part # I puled out of my '87 Esprit which should be the same as your car. I did replace it with an OEM Lotus filter though. It had been in there a while and was looking rather gummy & yukky.

The debate about "oiled" air filters rages on - I change mine enough that I just use OEM filters. Ironically, I use a K&N oil filter for my car. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts