The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Which ones do I get to replace my dome light and trunk lights? Neither give a size in MM.... These are $7.99 each at Autozone - is that a decent price?

Thanks!
James
42mm

Much relevant info here, including cheaper sources.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...fter-courtesy-light-left-changing-led-116622/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/dome-light-bulb-replacement-116853/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/dome-light-troubleshooting-182505/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/led-set-evora-131913/

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Which ones do I get to replace my dome light and trunk lights? Neither give a size in MM.... These are $7.99 each at Autozone - is that a decent price?

Thanks!
James
Here's where I went for swapping out all my LED's

CBConcept - Search

They all work great!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just ordered a 6-pack of these 42mm 4-LED units for AU$7.70 shipped:

Planning on using them in footwells (2), trunk (2) and dome (1) leaving 1 spare. Hoping 4 LEDs is bright enough for the dome...

Couldn't find a similar bargain for 36/37mm bulbs so will leave the number plate alone for now.

Can't wait :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
When you replace the footwell lights, be sure to pull the associated fuse first. I blew mine out when replacing the footwell light on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
also, be warned the factory festoon bulbs get crazy hot

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I pulled my trunk lights and turned off the dome light so no heat or battery issues:)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
heat is a complete non-issue with the change to LED. Like any incandescent, the bulbs burn hot. Trick is removing these without touching the bulb is tricky, so it is easy to burn yourself unless you pull a fuse, pull the plug on the side, or let them cool.

I would venture the parasitic draw in our cars, much like n the elise, is due much more to our cobra-based alarm and immobilizer then the LEDs, particularly considering how little current LEDs draw

·
Registered
579 Posts
hmm I hope I haven't negated the heat benefits with my choice of LED bulb... mine have a load resistor and heatsink on the back to prevent the car from thinking that too little current is being drawn therefore the bulb has blown -> warning light.

·
Registered
107 Posts
These are the same type I installed in the trunk and the dome. They have been working fine for about a month. They are heavier on the heatsink side so they tend to rotate after a while. Can be fixed easily I would think.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ok so I managed to replace the trunk lights easily enough:

However I got stuck at the roof light. I'm able to pull the clear cover down part-way, but then the black piece (holding the switch and bulb) seems to come away from it on the side opposite the switch. Does the clear cover have to come totally off?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Whatever it takes to get the bulb out and the new one in. I had similar event when changing. Work with it ("wiggling and tugging") and it come out. Note that pulling the plastic light cover down from the driver's side is the way to get it out. Mine was very tight, finally came......when reinstalling, the tightness nearly precluded snapping back into place. I used a hole punch to remove a very slight bit of headliner where the snap tabs on the light aligned, and now removal/replacement is a "snap".....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks for the tips, tried again this morning and realised my fingers are skinny enough to replace the bulb with the cover only partially removed!

Initially it wanted to swing heatsink-side down (LEDs facing up) but I bent one of the contacts closer to keep it pointing the right way. However even with 4 LEDs the light is very bright, so I might spin it back up to the roof...

·
Registered
579 Posts
So I managed to contort myself into the passenger footwell (with bum still on the driver's seat), remove the fuse panel, and remove the C14 fuse for the footwell lights. Footwell lights still on, hmmm. Removed C12 for interior lights, and bam! Darkness.

Waited a while for the bulbs to cool and then I used my smartphone and a worklight to try and locate the bulb - no luck. I searched everywhere but couldn't find it! Then I took a photo with my phone:

Seems 2014 Evoras have LED strips for footwell illumination already!

Also, 4 LEDs pointing downwards in the roof was way too bright at night time, so I swung it 180 degrees and the light level is more appropriate now. Only the temperature is way too cool compared to the warm white footwell LEDs, so I'll be looking for some warm white ones now...

·
Registered
579 Posts
At today's Club Lotus Australia xmas party, I thought it'd be neat to leave my trunk lid wide open like everyone else:

After 3 hours like this I was walking past my car and realised the trunk lights were both on!! Of course, duh... oh crap. Close the boot and cross my fingers I haven't drained the battery, go to start the car, VROOM. Fires right up :)

Very, very glad I changed to LEDs...

·
Registered
42 Posts
These recommendations were great. Ordered my set over the summer. Never got to thank you! Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts