The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly upgrading my car before I take it to the track. The 3 most important safety items seem to be: rear toe link, radiator, and oil pan.
When I bought it, the car already had the Moroso baffled pan, and I just had the DS Brace installed. Next is the radiator. I've compiled a list of what's available. Please share your opinions on why you went with what you have. I'm listing them by price, while not a huge determinant, I don't want to spend for what is overkill for my use. My car is a 2006 Elise, Sport and Tour. IF I ever wanted to add a supercharger, would the single pass radiator be able to handle it? Are there any downsides to having a triple pass radiator in an NA car? My initial inclination is just to get the $375 Champion, unless there are other compelling reasons to spend more.
Thanks,

Inokinetic Champion $375
Monkeywrench $395
GRP $400
Blackwatch $429
Inokinetic single pass $580
Inokinetic triple pass $600
BOE $600

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've had the BOE Pro Alloy for over 55k miles with no issues. The 27mm Denso F1 wasn't available at the time...

Be sure to replace rubber hoses with new silicone hoses.

·
Registered
No lotus yet, but cant wait to get one
56 Posts
Have you seen the Proalloy triple pass radiators, here is the single and triple pass ones, and they look to be cheaper than the inokinetic ones. They also have fans and AC condensers if you find out that yours are broken, and there is a deal package for the single-pass radiator and the condenser now...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you seen the Proalloy triple pass radiators, here is the single and triple pass ones, and they look to be cheaper than the inokinetic ones. They also have fans and AC condensers if you find out that yours are broken, and there is a deal package for the single-pass radiator and the condenser now...

Thanks for the link. However, their single pass radiator that's priced at 319 GBP = 419 USD, and that's before shipping.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the link. However, their single pass radiator that's priced at 319 GBP = 419 USD, and that's before shipping.
Oh sorry my bad I was converting from usd to gbp, whoops! 😬

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I have a Moroso oil pan from way back and recently just had my rear toe links swapped out, along with oil line recall, radiator and aluminum front brake pistons swapped for steel ones.

I went with the blackwatchracing but with their single-pass F1 radiator. Now that its installed I'm super glad I went this way. Works just fine for a factory NA setup but if I ever decide to go with more power I feel like I have a good radiator that can handle that. I was more after addressing the points I would worry about while driving the Elise in the 14 years I've owned it and decided now to address them.

Observations...visually since it is very thin (27mm) compared to other radiators it sits very low once installed and looks very cool that way. Oh and like mentioned earlier don't forget to replace your radiator hoses with silicone ones.

Reactions: Darren Donovan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wizard cooling
$470 100% American made
Good quality and great finish no ugly welds that some have
These guys were great to deal with.

·
Vendor
3,267 Posts
We're not big fans of triple pass. The triple pass has alot of restriction which hits you hardest when you need it most, at high RPM. We've seen that the single pass works great, without the load on the waterpump at higher rpms that can lead to cavitation etc. etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We're not big fans of triple pass. The triple pass has alot of restriction which hits you hardest when you need it most, at high RPM. We've seen that the single pass works great, without the load on the waterpump at higher rpms that can lead to cavitation etc. etc.
so single pass for more power and higher-revving cars then?

·
Vendor
3,267 Posts
so single pass for more power and higher-revving cars then?
I would say single-pass period. If you look at these rads, they are not very tall i.e. height across. Now cut that into 3rds. Now run the coolant across, turn around across, turn around, across. The water pump is rpm dependent. Bone stock factory cars are 8500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have the Pro Alloy single pass that I bought from Boe, works great and the fit is perfect. That said, if I was to do it again, I would go with the Denso F1 rad from BWR. It's light, it's thinner and it will keep up to anything you through at it cooling wise.
I see about 200 degree coolant temps after a 20 min track session in 80 ambient, that's with Rev 300 SC. Next year I will be Rev 400 with the intercooler rad in place of the A/C condenser, so I imagine the coolant temps may go up a bit as the coolant rad will be fed hot air from the IC rad, just something to think about if you are considering going in that same direction.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts