The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace OEM radiator with all aluminum on my 2007 Exige S. It's taken a long time to muster the courage for the project! Is there much difference between new OEM rubber hoses vs silicone hoses?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not really. Go with OEM for overall cost/reliability. People don't realize silicone hoses are 15 times more water permeable than rubber hoses. Over time and drive cycles you'll lose coolant. There is a reason they aren't used for fuel or oil lines. They look cooler but you can't see them anyway. They can handle hotter liquids, but nothing you should have to worry about. Race car with regular maintenance...yes. Daily driver...no. Save your money for other upgrades. But that's just me. Others may have other insights.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
My 10+ year old OEM hoses still looked to be in good shape when I replaced them.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
760 Posts
The big issue with the stock hoses is the leaky bleeder valve on the early ones, not the hoses themselves. If you buy a current stock hose you should be fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just replaced my radiator so I did the hoses as well. The original 2005 hoses were still in great shape. The new version of the passenger side hose has a brass bleeder while the original was plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts