Discussion Starter #1

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
i haven't heard of anyone ever breaking the factory solution, which is probably less strong than anything from the aftermarket. I'm guessing all accomplish the job just fine.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have used the SSC kit for the last 3 years on my 2-11 , lots of track hours and no problem ... but looking at the BOE product , and knowing their quality , [currently fitting a Rev400 kit /Front Hex etc ] and taking into account the price difference ... makes the BOE kit a no brainer !

But...The SSC kit does offer the steel cross brace , which may add some rigidity..
Each side is linked by a zinc plated seamless tubular steel cross brace which stiffens the whole assembly and puts the inboard end in double shear.

Many track cars add add stiffeners to the rear ...

If I was doing it again I would go with BOE and then modify rear end as per picture [or similar]

Currently building up an Elise race car and using the Elise Parts Toe link

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/92/797/t45-wishbone-toe-link-kit/
and using their wishbones and GT uprights ... Notice the Toe links actually connect back to the wishbone ... which is a different design again ..

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
There are a ton of topics on this already and there is no one "right" answer. Different folks have different opinions. I have the BOE full links as I felt like that was the best designed kit. Drilling out the rear bolts was sorta scary but in the end it went well.

Search is your friend...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
That's what I went with. The full links seem to be a great value and I can't imagine the weekend warrior needs more. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but it would seem to me the center bar that links the two inner joints is redundant.

Do the joints actually flex or compress that large steel sub-frame?
The inner bolt shears off... That "center bar" as you call it, puts those inner bolts into double shear...essentially doubling its strength, therefore fixing the problem.

Also, if you maintain that OEM geometry, Lotus engineer designed in some bump steer with that toe link... you get slightly better grip coming out of corners. That is NOT all that trivial. I'd stick with the OEm kit.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I like the simplicity of service and lightweight attributes of our design... The strength seems to be adequate on all the after market kits...

-Phil

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I like the simplicity of service and lightweight attributes of our design... The strength seems to be adequate on all the after market kits...

-Phil
The first part sort of goes without saying as it is your kit.

The SSC one is pretty solid, and I believe they were based upon the race series car that had a double shear brace.

As Phil mentioned, any brace is an improvement.
Retaining the bump steer seems worthwhile.

·
3,201 Posts
Anyone running the kit from Elise Parts?
Elise Parts - Steering & Suspension - Steering - Uniball Toe Link Kit

Design looks very robust and parts look very high quality.
I have to admit I agree - those brackets at the ends look pretty great but I'd want something like Phil / Sector to chime in with their thoughts (which may no doubt me ours is better).

I run the BOE kit from Phil and think it's great - only PITA is drilling out the rear inserts to put in the bigger bolts and even that wasn't too bad. Just have to use a drill with a level bubble to keep it all level and straight. Took me an afternoon so not bad. If I were buying right now I'd go with the proven BOE kit but that's not to say this isn't great too.

So who's gonna bite first? Anyone running it yet?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to admit I agree - those brackets at the ends look pretty great but I'd want something like Phil / Sector to chime in with their thoughts (which may no doubt me ours is better).

I run the BOE kit from Phil and think it's great - only PITA is drilling out the rear inserts to put in the bigger bolts and even that wasn't too bad. Just have to use a drill with a level bubble to keep it all level and straight. Took me an afternoon so not bad. If I were buying right now I'd go with the proven BOE kit but that's not to say this isn't great too.

So who's gonna bite first? Anyone running it yet?
I guess I'll be the guinea pig! I exchanged quite a few emails with EliseParts and decided that their kit was for me. I'm sure all the aftermarket kits are sufficient in strength, but the options from the vendors in the USA were just not quite exactly what I wanted. I really prefer having a double shear bracket on the inner joint (Carroll Smith's racing books really influenced me here), new outer joints, and dust shields for the rod ends. I'll document the purchase experience and install of the kit in a separate thread.

·
3,201 Posts
I guess I'll be the guinea pig! I exchanged quite a few emails with EliseParts and decided that their kit was for me. I'm sure all the aftermarket kits are sufficient in strength, but the options from the vendors in the USA were just not quite exactly what I wanted. I really prefer having a double shear bracket on the inner joint (Carroll Smith's racing books really influenced me here), new outer joints, and dust shields for the rod ends. I'll document the purchase experience and install of the kit in a separate thread.
If/when you do start a new thread would you please link it here so those of us following along can find it? Very interested in this and would hate to miss that thread.

Also Tribe, and if you said this already my apologies, but how do you use your car? Street or track? What is your goal with this setup, weight saving only or better/longer braking too? Finally what type of fluid do you run now - or plan to run with this setup?

I'll admit I'm in the same camp as Frank - in that my setup works pretty damn well with the stock calipers, Phil's vented SS pistons, Ti backing shims, Pagid RS14 (blacks) and SRF600 fluid. I never get fade and the car stops on a dime - that said after adding the power I can definitely tell that the car is now under-braked which isn't a good thing is it? As funds become available this is definitely on the list....

·
Supporting Vendors
154 Posts
Just an FYI,
The DSbrace + the Nitron S99 outboard kit gives you the double shear inner solution and the upgraded outer joints. The dust seals can be found on summitracing.com

That being said, anything is better than stock! Enjoy the safer car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts