The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have Elise 275 FF Turbo car and would like to know which SCCA class for
auto cross is correct. The car has turbo and Alcon big brakes kit.

I figure if I enter SS people might complain.

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Lotus90 - we met at PPIR last weekend.

XP or SSM or, locally, we have "OSP," aka Open Street Prepared, which is a regional class for anything with a windshield/headlights/license plate.

SS stands for "Super Stock;" your car is nowhere near stock:). SCCA Stock category allowances DO permit some changes (shocks, front swaybar, catback exhaust, brake pads), but not TURBOS.

Come out to an event & drive, regardless of class, it'll be fun!

Iain

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Sounds like your best bet is SSM, until you start getting good, nobody is going to bug you about your weight.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
SS=Super Stock... toughest stock class, then AS BS CS DS ES FS...
Next step up for Elise/Exige is SSM (must have factory engine block, but many bolt ons are okay), A K20/24 knocks you out of this class.
(Some of the factory stock suped up ones (Lotus Sport) are A street prepared even though they are stock, ASP)
XP class is for the big boys, a car which started as a factory car which has been mondo upgraded.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
with all my goodies, I am ssm.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The rules are cornfusing for me. We don't follow some of the stuff or have other rules too so it's kinds :crazyeyes

I am the only car in SS out of ~50 cars though. rotfl

·
Registered
254 Posts
SS=Super Stock... toughest stock class, then AS BS CS DS ES FS...
Next step up for Elise/Exige is SSM (must have factory engine block, but many bolt ons are okay), A K20/24 knocks you out of this class.
(Some of the factory stock suped up ones (Lotus Sport) are A street prepared even though they are stock, ASP)
XP class is for the big boys, a car which started as a factory car which has been mondo upgraded.
That changed into SSP this year.

There's a subforum for all this stuff - Solo timed events - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - Solo Timed Events, but in a nutshell:

SCCA has several _categories_, which are broken into _classes_.

Categories:

Stock
Street Touring
Street Prepared
Prepared
Modified

Classes:

Super Stock (SS), A Stock, BS, through HS. As far as "Eliges" go, the only stock-legal Lotuses are Elises in SS. Supercharged Elises, Exiges and Sport Elises (not Elises with LSS/Sport Package) all go to SSP instantly, even bone stock.

Street Touring - street tire classes. Elises/Exiges don't fit there, AFAIK. Skipping. Lots of classes, STC, STR, STX, all with different rules.

Street Prepared - SSP, ASP, BSP through FSP. Exiges/SC Elises start in SSP. Normal Elises with stiffer springs/wider wheels/race seats/headers/decat/etc go to SSP. SP is a neat category. I competed there for ~15 years.

Prepared - XP, BP through FP. Real Race Car class, but XP has it's own set of allowances. Basically, plastic windows, race fuel, programmable fuel injection, LOTS OF FLEXIBILITY. Most (all?) _competitive_ XP cars are not street driven.

Modified - AM through FM. Lotus 7s are commonish in DMod. CMod is the Formula Ford class. FMod is the F500/Formula V class. EMod is the whacky class, with weird, purpose built cars. AMod has a minimum wheelbase and minimum weight. Beyond some safety rules, AM is a freeforall (and ridiculous). No real Elige presence in Mod.

Quickie breakdown:

SS/Super Stock - Elises (not Exige/factory supercharged Elise/Sport Elise). Double adjustable shocks OK, any DOT tire that fits on stock dimension wheel (1/4" wiggle room on offset), any front swaybar, any brake pads, any cat back exhaust.

SSP/Super Street Prepared - Exige/factory supercharged (not aftermarket turbo) Elise, or normal Elise that's gone beyond Stock allowances (say, springs and wider wheels), any spring, any wheel, header, any intake manifold (but you can't add a turbo), any clutch, race seats, etc. Still stock internal motor, but a lot more suspension changes allowed.

SSM/Super Street Modified - engine swaps, aero, add supercharger, add turbo, LOTS of flexibility here. The OPs car "fits" here, but would get crushed Nationally.

XP/eXtreme? Prepared - engine swaps, lighter, more aero, bodywork changes, etc. Again, the OPs car "fits" here, but nationally speaking, would not likely be competitive.

That's a _very_ "nutshell" view, far, far greater detail in the Solo Timed Events forum. Cars with aftermarket turbos are in a weird spot in SCCA Solo; it is a HUGE change, and huge changes move you instantly into categories where OTHER huge changes are permitted, plonking cars like the OPs (an Elise with a turbo) into no-man's-land.

THAT SAID, who cares, come out and have fun. There's plenty of places to have fun in Solo regardless of classing, and if you've never done it, "mods" don't matter - first time out in a turbo Elise, you'll get beaten by stock Hondas. That's OK. It is fun to drive at the limit in a controlled environment.

Iain

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Hmmm, Just looked it up. PAX adjustment for SSP is 0.865 and it is .879 for SSM. I need to see if I can squeeze into SSP. I must have been reading the 2011 rule book.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If I remember correctly, you will not be legal in SSP with a Katana. The only superchargers or turbos allowed in SSP are factory. That includes all the little bits and pieces from brackets to intake manifold etc.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You are probably correct, I would have to update to the Elise S 2009 to make the supercharger legal. I thought the standard Lotus supercharger was an MP62 (katana2 is an MP62 as well). It would be a lot easier to start with an factory intercooled Exige in this class, reflash to 300 HP, update some suspension elements.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In case somebody missed it, the 2006 Exige is also classified in Super Stock. Misprinted in the 2012 Rule Book as "Exige (normally-aspirated) (2005)"

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You are probably correct, I would have to update to the Elise S 2009 to make the supercharger legal. I thought the standard Lotus supercharger was an MP62 (katana2 is an MP62 as well). It would be a lot easier to start with an factory intercooled Exige in this class, reflash to 300 HP, update some suspension elements.
IIRC the elise SC came with an Eaton m45 whereas the exige came with an m62.

And yea as stated before I thought to be in SSP it needs to be mechanically a "Lotus" supercharger kit. That would be hard for the Elise given the air/air ic setup of the exige. Like you said though it does seem like a class well suited to an exige.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So what class should I sign up in for whenever I start to do autocross? I have no idea about any of these classes or how they work.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The Elise and the Exige are listed on the same line in the rule book so they are considered different versions of the same model so in SSP interchanging all factory parts is acceptable from any year model on the same line. So you could install a Exige clam and intercooler setup on an Elise as long as you do it with all factory parts.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
So what class should I sign up in for whenever I start to do autocross? I have no idea about any of these classes or how they work.
SSM if you add the weight to get to the minimum. Otherwise XP.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Elise and the Exige are listed on the same line in the rule book so they are considered different versions of the same model so in SSP interchanging all factory parts is acceptable from any year model on the same line. So you could install a Exige clam and intercooler setup on an Elise as long as you do it with all factory parts.
Correct. One catch, though - "engines, transmissions and transaxles must be updated/backdated as a unit."

SO, you can use any elise/exige ENGINE, but that includes the supercharger and pullies. Exhaust manifolds/intake manifolds are free.

You can't just take an Exige supercharger and bolt it onto an Elise motor (unless the resulting combination is exactly the same as an Exige motor). I don't know for sure how the cookie crumbles in that case, but, for example, Mitsubishi Eclipses - 1st gen had a bigger turbo, 2nd gen had a better, uhh (making stuff up) bottom end.

For those that gave up their DSM habit, I'm probably wrong on what was better on 1g/worse on 2g. Basic gist is correct.

Anyway, the ESP Eclipses basically forced the clarification - IIRC, a 2nd gen engine (head/block/crank/pistons/cams) with a 1st gen turbo would have been somehow more desirable - but after a few letters, it was decided that "as a unit" in terms of a forced induction motor meant "head/crank/block/cams/AND super/turbocharger." You can change OTHER bits and pieces - intercooler, for example - but to make a franken-elise for SSP, you have to use an Exige motor, bottom end, head, cams, AS WELL AS the supercharger.

Can't just bolt on the supercharger, unless the end result is the same as an Exige motor - and I don't _THINK_ it is.

Bueller?

Iain (the next logical question is "do you have to use the engine AND transaxle as a unit?" No - the rule is written a bit strangely, but it means you must use the ENGINE and/or TRANSAXLE as a unit - you can put an Exige transaxle into an Elise legally in SSP. You must take the transaxle as a unit - can't use a final drive out of a, uhh, Elise and put it in the Exige transaxle and a 6th gear out of a Celica GTS. Or something. But no, you don't have to take the engine AND transaxle as a unit - you can use either/or, but they must be "as a unit," IE, as they came out of the factory)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts