The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of Lotus Cup wheels for my 2006 Elise this past fall and am looking to order a set of tires for the upcoming track season. The car is supercharged but stock suspension (non track pack). I drive to and from my local tracks and put street tires/wheels on when at home. I ran R888's last year but am unsure of the right size tire for the cup wheels. Thinking 205/45/16 for the fronts and 235/40/17 for the rears. Anyone else running that size or any other recommendations?

·
Registered
580 Posts
225/45-16 fronts
255/40-17 rears

Here's a side shot, tires fill the wheel wells nicely.
No rubbing on fenders.
If suspensions is fully loaded you'll scuff the inner liners sometimes but you'll have to drive it pretty hard.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Nice shot, really like your front splitter, what make is that??

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I went with 205/45/16, 235/45/17 RE 71 R's on 240 cup wheels on an 08 Exige. No issues. Rusty

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't run the larger sizes unless you're planning on tracking a lot, the 195 & 235's fit the wheels best.
On the Lotus Cup wheels I think 195 might be a little on the narrow side, plus this will be a dedicated track wheel/tire combo.

I do appreciate every one's advice, you've all given me some things to think about. Sounds like there isn't one right answer but possibly a few.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
On the Lotus Cup wheels I think 195 might be a little on the narrow side...
I agree, in general, but not with the R888, as it runs very wide. Unless you are NEEDING extra grip in the front, and I mean full tilt, like you already have -2.2° camber and the correct alignment, then there is no need for such a wide tire...unless you're tracking constantly.

·
He's on fire!
3,132 Posts
i have these wheels and run the stock sizes. r888 do run wide, probably could get away with 205/45 and 235/40. Although, if I was buying new tires it would be r888r, not r888. Depending on how much power you have, more than stock sizing might be unnecessary - wider heavier tires translates into less top end down any given straight, unless you have the hp to minimize the trade off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If suspensions is fully loaded you'll scuff the inner liners sometimes but you'll have to drive it pretty hard.
there is no need for such a wide tire...unless you're tracking constantly.
I thought he was pretty clear that he's asking about track tires. Why not take him at his word? He'll be driving it pretty hard, and tracking constantly.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I thought he was pretty clear that he's asking about track tires. Why not take him at his word? He'll be driving it pretty hard, and tracking constantly.
I'm taking him at his word, I just don't think 225 is the right size for the front. I also don't think the R888 is the right tire. My opinion's, both of them.

...probably could get away with 205/45 and 235/40. Although, if I was buying new tires it would be r888r, not r888. Depending on how much power you have, more than stock sizing might be unnecessary - wider heavier tires translates into less top end down any given straight, unless you have the hp to minimize the trade off.
This.

·
Registered
580 Posts
@CRG53 - Splitter sold by lotustalk member Lowtush
@jds62f - I agree, the r888r is the tire to get
@VisualEchos - I'm curious, what tire would you run? Full slicks don't have as well matched a tire size combo/ratio (at least I haven't found one)
The r888, r888r are a great sticky tire combo

For those wanting to run a narrower front tire - Lotus is know for handling, your top speed (drag) isn't going to matter when the real value is your cornering speed.
More tire on the ground = more corner speed..just sayin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I run those sizes exactly and love the balance.
Sounds good! And thank you everyone for the recommendations.

And just to clarify from some of the above posts - I'm looking to put R888R's on Cup wheels as a dedicated track tire/wheel set up (with the exception of driving to and from the track on them). The car is also supercharged and I have decent track experience over the past dozen years having tracked motorcycles, an Audi TT, two Porsche 911's, a supercharged Corvette, a supercharged Miata, and now the Elise.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
225/45-16 fronts
255/40-17 rears

Here's a side shot, tires fill the wheel wells nicely.
No rubbing on fenders.
How did you get to fit the 255s in the back. I had a set and they're too wide. I had them mounted on Monolites 17x8 +32. Used a 3mm spacer also IIRC and had to toe out since it would rub inside front. The wheel well is not exactly rectangular but tapers in width at the front.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts