The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
FWIW, I'm not sure that more than 2 degrees (even with race slicks and stiffer springs) is going to be an improvement.
It is setup specific, but how do you know if -2 degrees is enough if you can't try more than -2 degrees?

I'm running about -2.6 degrees up front, milled steering arms, lowered ~25mm, street tires, auto-x and track lapping.

Similarly, with my S2000 running street tires, stiff spring rates, stiff front anti-roll bar, a more aggressive camber curve and more caster... -3.0 degrees up front was pretty optimal.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I'm running 3.x and I'm not even sure that's enough. Also yes I am tracking the car on slicks with very stiff springs and low tire pressures.

I am also on max castor but the adjustment range is tiny so it doesn't really matter much.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I'm running 3.x and I'm not even sure that's enough. Also yes I am tracking the car on slicks with very stiff springs and low tire pressures.

I am also on max castor but the adjustment range is tiny so it doesn't really matter much.
Kevin,

What are you running for rear camber?

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Around 2.75 if i remember right. This was based on pit lane tire temp with my old setup. However I didn't get to dialing it in with the stiffer springs, so I'm not sure this is right yet. And I guess it will change again when I get the new wing. I'm told near 3 is right on a7s.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Just curious as to why some people think they need more than 2.5 degrees of camber in the front...

Are you tracking your car?

Using racing slicks?

Have you tried increasing the caster?

FWIW, I track a 2-Eleven with the factory (2-Eleven specific) upper A-arms which give me -2.0 degrees of camber.
I ask this with no malice at all, so don't take it personally, but are you fast? How do your times compare to tt2/3 times? Or do you race? I hope you are as I look forward to more opinions from competitive cars.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Around 2.75 if i remember right. This was based on pit lane tire temp with my old setup. However I didn't get to dialing it in with the stiffer springs, so I'm not sure this is right yet. And I guess it will change again when I get the new wing. I'm told near 3 is right on a7s.
Kevin,

Your camber settings, front & rear, may start to explain why you can run lower tire pressures.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I ask this with no malice at all, so don't take it personally, but are you fast? How do your times compare to tt2/3 times? Or do you race? I hope you are as I look forward to more opinions from competitive cars.
I hold a few of the overall Lotus Cup USA lap records and probably most of the 2-Eleven lap records.

I looked up the NASA Buttonwillow 13CW track record for TT2 (1:52.707), and TT3 (1:50.386), both from 2015. My best time is 1:50.310 (from 2014)

NASA records for Laguna Seca for TT2 (1:34.139) and TT3 (1:34.318). My best time is 1:33.656

:shrug:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Yeah, like I said, glad to see it! Just there have been people who post on the forums that I then hear from others are very casual drivers even though they have highly prepped cars. So you run only 2° on slicks on your 2-11?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yeah, like I said, glad to see it! Just there have been people who post on the forums that I then hear from others are very casual drivers even though they have highly prepped cars. So you run only 2° on slicks on your 2-11?
Yes. I know of other 2-Eleven owners that run more. I'd love to log temperatures across the tire face during a session (in fact I've been doing some research into that), but until then I can't justify milling the existing arms (or replacing them) when the car's current dynamics feel pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Yes. I know of other 2-Eleven owners that run more. I'd love to log temperatures across the tire face during a session (in fact I've been doing some research into that), but until then I can't justify milling the existing arms (or replacing them) when the car's current dynamics feel pretty good.

Wasn't there someone at one point who was creating just that?

I thought he had made wheel well liners with three sensors across the liner. He was trying to get/log real time temps outside, middle and inside.

I know the search function on LT isn't great, but I do recall that effort.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Interesting, I hadn't seen that.

I've already designed and built my own data logger... currently it logs OBD-II data, GPS data, and 3-axis accelerometer/gyro/compass data. I was going to integrate the IR temp sensors (3 per tire) into the system... or I might go with creating a CAN-based sensor that would integrate into existing data loggers. Or, I might lose interest and just buy a system. :D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts