The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK what do you guys think? Keep the carbon fiber or silver metal? Almost seems the silver works better in a V8 like the Elise wheel.
Pod panels will be blue and black CF weave

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Sorry, I do not like the silver bar in the first one. Doesn't go with the rest of your interior. The carbon fiber is better because its darker, but if there is one with leather all the way around...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Between those two I would go with the black/CF. The only way the silver would go (perhaps) is if your exterior paint color is silver, but even then I think it clashes a bit with the wood and tan. Hope this helps!

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you win the eBay auction for the CF dash panels?
I thought about bidding on the ebay auction as my dash was cracking like most. My panels are the standard veneer and I am not real sure what to do. redo the veneer or go CF. But to answer your question, no I did not bid on the eBay CF panels. They were made for instrument faces to be mounted in wing panels like your 88. My SE has square like opening compared to the nacel like opening. I would have had to wet saw the openings and figured it would be too much work to change the panel. So I thought one of the 88 guys here would benefit more out them than me.

I'm grew up in Hawaii and around surfboard so CF is not too different from GRP so I have been making and fixing motorcycle fairings for my son's sport bikes the last few years. I got some color CF and aramid left over to make up some dash parts and B pillar trims. It will be the summer project as the temps have to be warm for me to work in an unheated garage. Guy on a budget here, I'm not like the other LOON's that have indoor facilities and vac baggers LOL.
This is the raw blue aramid

This is the blue carbon/kevlar blend

This how your car color would look

and yellow

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do have wheels with elmwood, walnut, and maple finishes on top that come pretty close to the dash color as well as the full leather in blue, green, tan, and black. I did not have enough cash to buy them all to trial fit. I'm going back and forth if I'm going to refinish the wood veneer or go for a modern look of CF. I think I'm going to trial fit a CF dash and if that does not work go back to wood.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I truly think the wodd finish on the wheel would look amazing but if I had to choose between the silver or carbon I would definately go with the Carbon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
A previous owner of my car was kind enough to put a wood Raid wheel in my car. The wheel is a good match to the dash, just a tiny bit darker.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Keep them both, but for your car, I would lean towards the carbon fiber one. It goes better with your year and color combo. :)

Roy

·
Banned
938 Posts
The C.F or Wood.
Nice looking wheels. Both.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A previous owner of my car was kind enough to put a wood Raid wheel in my car. The wheel is a good match to the dash, just a tiny bit darker.

[/URL][/IMG]
My old SE years ago had a darker dash. I have seen S4s with a darker dash pieces too, So did a little research and it appears both of us have yellowing and fading to make our dash look lighter. Perhaps like this Jag panel

In any case my dash is cracking like all cars of this age. As the weather warms up I am going to attempt a solvent pullover fusion fill of the cracks in the lacquer finish. Probably won't solve the yellowing and fading. But at least if it works the cracks in the finish will disappear. If not on to the carbon fiber

1 - 16 of 16 Posts