The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SMDDanny
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my 05 Elise a couple weeks ago and just looking it over to see what I have and what I need to do. I was surprised to see remote reservoir on the Ohlins. Is this the stock suspension? Doesn't look factory to me with the res. clamped to the lower A.

Anyone got a link that will point me in the right direction as far as set up ... compression and rebound dampening adjustments? I had a great chart for my motorcycle to give ball park setting for touring / performance settings etc. Right now.. its just set to harsh :-0 for someones track day.

Ride height might need to be addressed also as there is some rubbing on the pass. side fender liner up front. I know about corner balancing and have scales.. just wonder what people use for static ride height.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
That's not the stock suspension. They could be Lotus Sport Ohlins or Ohlins from an aftermarket vendor.

I think the springs have the rates printed on them like xxxxx-xx/xx, with the last part of the value after the slash being the rate in N/mm.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91...hlins-da-street-setup-recommendations-101629/

Here's a good thread about Ohlins setup. The first step is to figure out the spring rates as without those, you don't really know what you're working with.

If you're lucky you'll be able to find stickers or other identifying info to help you find where they came from and how they are valved. If not, it's probably a safe bet to find the most common setup with the spring rates you have and assume it's that.

The good news is that Ohlins are fairly common in the US and so you're likely to find a performance shop who can help you out with them if necessary.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
thats cool, I think you got a great suspension set up with the car. Way too much rust though, might want to take care of that.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Got my 05 Elise a couple weeks ago and just looking it over to see what I have and what I need to do.

-eek- based on the crap condition of the control arms, it looks like the car was driven in the winter...

plus side, is that looks to be an ohlins setup judging by the reservoirs & coil color

·
SMDDanny
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure is no dearth of remedial activity needed on that undercarriage! That's the winter's work. The summer's job is to get her set up reasonably.. first new tires and the rotors get turned (if there is enough meat on them). The tires were minted Feb 2006... and the car has 38K miles... so the A048's are old but I don't think they are good for that distance.. anyway they are gone.

So far I found a couple threads..
detailing ride heights and dampening adjustments.. looks like the first job is to see whose Ohlins they are .. factory Ohlins or a third party vendor with different valving rates..

Ohlins:
Compression is on the external reservoir
Rebound is on at the bottom of the shock itself

Street use (LOV 1F12-4F12)
front rebound 18 clicks
front compression 12 clicks

rear rebound 15 clicks
rear compression 10 clicks

Race Track (LOV 1F11-4F11)
rebound 12 clicks
compression 1 clicks

I'll check the springs and see what I have there, that is a great suggestion.. never trust..

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sure is no dearth of remedial activity needed on that undercarriage! That's the winter's work. The summer's job is to get her set up reasonably.. first new tires and the rotors get turned (if there is enough meat on them). The tires were minted Feb 2006... and the car has 38K miles... so the A048's are old but I don't think they are good for that distance.. anyway they are gone.

So far I found a couple threads..
detailing ride heights and dampening adjustments.. looks like the first job is to see whose Ohlins they are .. factory Ohlins or a third party vendor with different valving rates..

Ohlins:
Compression is on the external reservoir
Rebound is on at the bottom of the shock itself

Street use (LOV 1F12-4F12)
front rebound 18 clicks
front compression 12 clicks

rear rebound 15 clicks
rear compression 10 clicks

Race Track (LOV 1F11-4F11)
rebound 12 clicks
compression 1 clicks

I'll check the springs and see what I have there, that is a great suggestion.. never trust..
Don't drive on those old 048s at all. I almost swapped ends in a traffic intersection driving a set to the tire shop when I first got my car.

·
SMDDanny
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple clicks of the Ohlins and some fresh tires completely transformed this car from track car to touring... love it!

Would like to get the Ohlins looked at.. rebuilt... forward pass. side shock has a wonky rebound dampener...

Anyone care to recommend?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts