The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
err yeah, not ragnorak.

couple of kits in europe under development that i know of, nothings hit the streets that i've seen so far.

·
Registered
740 Posts
How would that whipple compare w/TVS?
It's all (TVS/Whipple/Lysholm) sort of the same twin screw idea right?

·
Vendor
3,336 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i believe the TVS is a roots design with an additional lobe; a whipple or lysolm screw uses a fundametally different compression topology...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Kinda drips from the tongue doesn't it?

Fundamentally Different Compression Topology

I think I better get me some of that for my car. Sounds fast.

xtn

·
Vendor
3,336 Posts
Kinda drips from the tongue doesn't it?

Fundamentally Different Compression Topology

I think I better get me some of that for my car. Sounds fast.

xtn
FDCT? Rad!:evil:rotfl

Actually, the lysholm/Whipple is a screw-type with an internal compression i.e. the air is compressed between the screws and the threads of the screw get tighter as you move from inlet to outlet. The tolerances are much tighter than those on a traditional roots so they can support a higher pressure-ratio(boost) vs. a traditional roots.

The TVS is based on roots but has the twist of a screw, 160 degrees, additional lobes, and constant screw-pitch. The tolerances are also very tight, which adds to the efficiency. I believe this was done to avoid patent infingement with Lysholm.

Looking at the compressor maps for both, the TVS looks to have similar overall efficiency, BUT larger highest efficiency island. They look to be largely the same from a performance standpoint.

In the interest of full disclosure, my XP car has a Lysholm/Whipple. My street car, hopefully will soon have a TVS.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Depends on which whipple/tvs you're talking about for comparison, the whipple 140ax flows more air than the 2300. it stays more efficient at higher compressor rpm than the tvs.

·
Vendor
3,336 Posts
Depends on which whipple/tvs you're talking about for comparison, the whipple 140ax flows more air than the 2300. it stays more efficient at higher compressor rpm than the tvs.
Of course. I was specifically speaking of the 1.2L Lysholm and 1.2L TVS, as the 2300 and 140ax are about 2x too large for the 2zz. Based on the compressor maps I've seen for the smaller 1.2L units, the differences are largely in the noise. I have a 1.6L Lysholm, unfortunately there was not a good TVS option available at the time I made that decision.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
They're based on the same tech though, they're mostly around the same for all intents and purposes, neither one is drastically better than the other, i've yet to see a conclusive technical study thats shown one outperforms the other by any decent margin.

I haven't seen the same figures from eaton on the tvs as from lysholm either, they've been a little bit less forthcoming on some of tests and how they were done as well as what they're measuring. Lysholm have been off doing other things and haven't really updated it much, i wonder if they will introduce something new to outside world.

I think at the power levels we are looking at there isn't a whole lot of difference. ( Other than cost, but then i don't know the current pricing maybe thats changed too )

·
Vendor
3,336 Posts
They're based on the same tech though, they're mostly around the same for all intents and purposes, neither one is drastically better than the other, i've yet to see a conclusive technical study thats shown one outperforms the other by any decent margin.

I haven't seen the same figures from eaton on the tvs as from lysholm either, they've been a little bit less forthcoming on some of tests and how they were done as well as what they're measuring. Lysholm have been off doing other things and haven't really updated it much, i wonder if they will introduce something new to outside world.

I think at the power levels we are looking at there isn't a whole lot of difference. ( Other than cost, but then i don't know the current pricing maybe thats changed too )
Perhaps you missed the comment from my earlier post.

"They look to be largely the same from a performance standpoint." ;)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
someone needs to PS a supercharger in place of the Charmin !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...how does a lysholm sound compared to a TVS?..i haven't heard either, but i understand that the TVS design is significantly quieter than more traditional roots designs...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I would guess they sound like spinning screws and sucking air?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whipple Speaks

Here is a reply from the actual whipple screw SC manufacturer

"A roots type blower uses 2 male rotors with the same amount of lobes on each one. A Screw type blower has 1 male rotor (lobes) and 1 female rotor (valleys). The screw type rotors have a higher helix (twist) to where it looks like the threads of a screw, thus the name. The screw compressors have better efficiency than a roots blower because of this. We can run higher boost levels with lower charge (air intake) temps than a roots can"

The whipple screw sounds like the ultimate SC, so lets get one on a lotus and see.

:shift:

·
Vendor
3,336 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
fzust: Lysholm is different than whipple, correct?
fzust: Do you have a Lysholm kit?

Can I just buy a whipple SC, and get a autoshop to install it?
Do all SC installs have a "kit"?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts