The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my evora out to CFRC in orlando this weekend for an autox event. The car felt amazing for my first set of 5 laps. Then I let it cool down and turned it off and waited for the other two groups to go. As soon as I turned on my car for my next heat a huge plume of white smoke came out the exhaust. It went away after driving it a short distance. People said that it was my car pulling oil into the intake and running through the engine. Some people said i should get a catch can. What do you guys think. I have it at lotus now getting some other things fixed, and my tech is gonna see if there is anything else wrong.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
People said that it was my car pulling oil into the intake and running through the engine.
My thought as well.

Some people said i should get a catch can.
I don't know the Camary motor that well so I'm not 100% sure but this is probably a good idea, if you're going to track the car a lot. The trouble with this is it doesn't pass emissions, at least in Colorado.

You probably have little to worry about...

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
That's what the Radium catch cans are for. Yes you need them

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Some engines inherently do this worse than others-I've heard the evoras is bad. My wifes 2.2 cobalt is horrendous and I installed catch cans after it completely siezed the throttle body butterfly.

Radium catch cans are on my short list

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
White smoke can mean alot of things, and it differs depending on the circumstance.

on cold-starts, it's just ambient moisture in the exhaust system when (left for a period of time). However, in the case of the OP, it could be a blown gasket, or it could be nothing serious (like burning oil, as others have suggested). I could also mean excess gasoline is being burned off (in the case the engine was flooded or had some gas left in it for odd weird reason). But in that case the fumes would smell very rich but he didn't mention what it smelled like.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I'm going to go with the catch can. I'll let you guys know how the install goes and the final result.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 2010 Evora did the same thing starting around 1100 miles and continued to suck oil into the intake until the day I traded it back to the dealer. I installed the Radium catch cans and it would still pull oil through the system at a frightful pace. Track days were even worse than Auto-x, I would fill a catch can in one 20 min session and have to empty the can after each session. It is not normal for the motor to suck that much oil through the pcv system. I went through hell trying to convince the dealer and Lotus that there was a problem........:mad: Eventually Lotus agreed that this was not normal and agreed to replace the engine, I had enough of the car's problems at that point (clutch replaced, intermittent door locks, AC condenser cracked, clear coat peel, warped engine cover above rear hatch, chrome paint peeling off of the taillights) and to top off the car's problems, the previous service manager at the dealership was a complete prat.....

I worked out a deal on a matte black s260 and the dealer took the Evora, the Engine was replaced under warranty, and the car was sold off several months later....... I hope you can get the problem sorted without the kind of hell I went through......I ended up hating what I was supposed to enjoy and almost Lemmon Lawed the car in the end.

this is the build up after a 800 mile trip

Good Luck with your oil burner....... you might want to do a leak down test and see which cylinder the rings did not seat correctly in.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2010 Evora did the same thing starting around 1100 miles and continued to suck oil into the intake until the day I traded it back to the dealer. I installed the Radium catch cans and it would still pull oil through the system at a frightful pace. Track days were even worse than Auto-x, I would fill a catch can in one 20 min session and have to empty the can after each session. It is not normal for the motor to suck that much oil through the pcv system. I went through hell trying to convince the dealer and Lotus that there was a problem........:mad: Eventually Lotus agreed that this was not normal and agreed to replace the engine, I had enough of the car's problems at that point (clutch replaced, intermittent door locks, AC condenser cracked, clear coat peel, warped engine cover above rear hatch, chrome paint peeling off of the taillights) and to top off the car's problems, the previous service manager at the dealership was a complete prat.....

I worked out a deal on a matte black s260 and the dealer took the Evora, the Engine was replaced under warranty, and the car was sold off several months later....... I hope you can get the problem sorted without the kind of hell I went through......I ended up hating what I was supposed to enjoy and almost Lemmon Lawed the car in the end.

this is the build up after a 800 mile trip

Good Luck with your oil burner....... you might want to do a leak down test and see which cylinder the rings did not seat correctly in.....
Will do thanks for all the info. I just ordered my catch cans, I'll monitor it to see if i have the same problems you did!

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Sounds like you had a improperly functioning PCV type valve that wasn't closing. I'll bet it wasn't engine at all in the long run but a simple valve. They probably figured that out after they got the engine pulled. Porsche can build a bad motoer too as can Toyota, Honda, BMW etc.
OP scenario sounds different though as it only puffs upon restart at track like all the 911's out there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The PCV valve was the first thing I checked, I do have a working knowledge of how a modern motor functions and have some mechanical skill......... I bet if the OP pulls the hose from the hose from valve to the intake after a run it will be wet with oil

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so I got the Radium catch can installed and had my first auto-x, and after my first fun the catch can was filled. And this was 5 laps at around 28 seconds a lap, very small course so honestly I didn't push the car that hard. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
597 Posts
so I got the Radium catch can installed and had my first auto-x, and after my first fun the catch can was filled. And this was 5 laps at around 28 seconds a lap, very small course so honestly I didn't push the car that hard. What do you guys think?
The owner's manual recommends changing oil to a different weight for track use IIRC. Did you do that?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can see where doing this on a "track" makes sense where you are running a 20 min session and the oil really heats up. Five 28 second laps at a auto-x course and filling a catch can is not normal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts