The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Who builds the best cylinder heads? p1302

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ERP 
#1 ·
I think my Elise developed the dreaded p1302, I pulled the valve cover and it does have slight wear on I3 cam lobe,didnt see any cracks or anything yet on the rockers. I have read about every page on here that I could find about this problem and never did find a definitive answer to why this happens to number 3?
Anyway Im looking to fix the problem one time and be done with it so who builds good heads? or is this something I can do, I am a qualified mechanic but Im not sure why it happens in the first place and I want to make sure I get it solved.
Also car just turned over 14k miles I got it with just shy of 9k last year, I cant say how the previous owner drove it but I can tell you the 4K+ I put on it were drivin like Lotus intended.

#2 ·
That is easy

Jim Clayton!:D

#3 ·
From what I've read Clayton is the best.

If you're a decent mechanic and want to DIY it, I think the general consensus is that setting the intake cams really loose (.013") helps alleviate the issues, which as far as I know is what Clayton does.

I'm not sure anyone has ever completely proven what causes the issue, but as time goes on it seems to be that looser lash helps a lot. Speculation includes "bad batch of cams," "other cars with the 2ZZ don't run on the high cams often" (sounds bogus to me), "bad factory lash," and so on.

#8 ·
I just finished installing one of his cylinder heads and stage 3 cams. Jim was a pleasure to work with. He does have a website with some general information.

www.jcrfab.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.